Running one 4 channel to components?

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 69
Should I run a 4 channel amp to one set of component speakers thus each individual speaker in the set gets equal power. Or should I use the amp to run my components in the front and coaxials in the back? People don't use a seperate amp just to run the coaxials in the rear? thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1280
use the 4 channel, 1 channel per speaker.....

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 70
What do you mean Ty? One channel per each component speaker and then a seperate 2 channel amp for the coaxials?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 929
what your talking about doing by using a 4 channel, a channel for the tweeters and a channel for the woofers, is called bi amping/bi wire. you'd prob be better off not doing that unless you really know what your doing. either run the 4 channel bridged to just the front speakers and HU power to the back or no back speakers at all, or use the 4 channel but for both front and back.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 457
My components are run with a 4 ch...bridged. Instead of the 50-70 per ch I'd get just using two channels I get 200-250 bridging it. Works great. My HU runs my rear fill coaxials.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 72
So why would I not just use a 2 channel amp for my components? What is the advantage for bridging a 4 channel amp?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 936
no advantage over a 2 channel. i'd actually recomend using a 2 channel rather then bridging a 4 channel.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 476
the only advantage is getting optimal power out of the amp.

If you buy a 2 ch amp that's 100x2 at 4 ohms and you connect it to two 4 ohm speakers you get 100w per speaker.

If you bought a similar brand/size/price amp that's 50x4 and brige it, it's possible to get as much as 200x2 to your two speakers for about the same cost.

Some people would advise against that because the amp's distortion numbers will double when bridged, but it will still be far below audibility, and with some speakers the increase in power will make a BIG difference in both SQ and SPL.

I've run my comps both ways, and in my case the extra power made a pronounced improvement. In other cases it wouldn't.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 907
why not get a 4 channel amp for the comps and bi-amp?

Silver Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 166
Bi-amping is the way to go!! :-) bridging is good if you want a lot more power, but bi-amp will sound cleaner. That's how i have my diamond d7054 running my diamond d971.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 73
What is bi-amping?

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 62
bi-amping is a cheap man's version of a active setup. Bi-amping usually, in most cases but not all, refers to using a bi-ampable passive crossover. IE, the crossover has two inputs one for the woofer and the other for the tweet. There are two ways to do it, regular( one wire to tweet + and the other to woofer -) or you could run seperate wires to (+ and -) to each input for both tweet and woofer. Effectively giving each driver a different signal.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 74
Hey alteraudiousa, I'm not that experienced I really don't know what all that means. I guess bottom line is, what is the best way to run my components with an amp. Please be basic and tell me which amp to get (2 or 4 channel) and how to set it up as far as bridged or not. Thanks. By the way, I will not be setting this up myself. I just want to make sure I have the best equipement for a true installer.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1288
I would run the 4 channel to all of your speakers.

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 69
well i prefer a rear fill and i just run coaxs off the HU. I prefer a good healthy two channel to run my components. Depending on what components you go with, a good 105-200rmsx2@4ohm would do well. Don't let the installer sell you on the idea of amping a set of coaxs in the rear, it will only lead to poor imaging the way they usually do it. Just amp the fronts and run the rears off the HU.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 910
actually I was referring to going all active, not using passives at all.

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 123
use channels 1 and 2 to run the tweets and channels 3 and 4 for the woofers. No passives at all. Use the amps internal crossover to cross the tweet around 3 or 4khz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us