Best Sound Damping Material

John Kody
Unregistered guest
Which is the best sound damping material? I've seen so many......i dont know what to use.......Thanks

John Kody
Unregistered guest
bump

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 320
ive only used dynamat, but from my experience it works wonders, it eliminated almost all of my rattle in my 1994ford probe gt (hatchback, they rattle more from my experience)....but after i put it in my trunk it was amazing and sounded much better from the outside, inside wasnt as noticible but still there....

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 932
dynamat is great, there are tons of other things out there like it though that are cheaper. i think the main one everyone uses other then dynamat is eDead. so some searching on google, i'm sure you can find some more.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=9&pid=7&cur=USD

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5532
Second Skin is the best I've used. Reasonable pricing, too.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 37
theres a deadening test on the internet with most of the major brands. Dynamat and Second Skin scored the highest. The old Edead V1se and the current V1 use a different type or core, i believe its asphalt or rubber based instead of butyl. The new V1se used buytl though. On the test the adhesive qualities of edead are midpack but not great, don't put it on your trunk lid or you may find it on your floor. I used it before on my trunk lid and it didn't stay up. I use dead now on my floors since its so cheap but use Cadence and Edead V1se on my doors and trunk lid.

If price isn't a matter get the Dynmat extreme or second skin high end. Both have very good qualities like maximum adhesiveness, extreme heat resistant and one of the thicker core sections.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 489
fatmat same as dynamat www.fatmat.com

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 493
i dont understand the sound dampin like how it helps wit the rattles an an keep it in the car all it is a 45mil thick sheet of rubber an sticky stuff wit a front iam just about done doin my car (floor,roof,sides,doors,trunk,trunk lid) like hows it work

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 11
It turns vibrational energy into heat. This process does not happen instantly, so when vibrations from low freq sound waves hit the material, the waves either have to convert to heat (slow) go through the material (difficult) or get bounced right back the other way (easiest path for the sound to follow).

Also, Dynamat extreme works by FAR the best @ 68 degrees fahrenheit. It works HALF as good EVERY 20 degrees hotter or colder than 68. So at 28 degrees it only works 1/4 as good as at 68!

I bought my 36 sq ft dynamat xtreme bulk pack for $153 shipped to my door including tax. Using less than half of the material got me a pretty impressive increase in SPL, as well as moderate reductions in exterior trunk rattle. I would definitely recommend buying the dynaroller tool also, this will save you A LOT of time and A LOT of tiny cuts on the tips of your fingers! (from the foil coating)

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 43
yeah dynamat is quite good but I would say only use dynamat on the doors and trunk lid. I bought 40sq ft of Edead v1 and v1se to run in my trunk and it cost me 56$ since its on sales for 20% off. I am in the process of getting the Cascade or Second Skin for my doors which will run more but i think i can get by with just 15ft per door. If you can't see the difference on how dynamat or any sound deadening works, applys 2layers to the rear 3/4 panel inside the trunk, right next to the wheel well. Then go on the outside of the car and tap the metal where the sound deadening was applied to and then tap it where there wasn't any applied to. you'll notice a change in sound. My demo right now you can almost punch the metal and it'll hurt you hand before it puts a dent on the car. I think as of right now i've added about 15lbs of weight to the car just with sound deadening.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1709
what about the edead paint on....

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 53
its good but use it as a top coat

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5537
Sound deadening works by either turning energy into heat or by mass loading the panel. Say you have a rattling panel, and you stick your hand on it, the rattling lessens due to the mass of your hand. That's how it works.

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 380
wut do u mean, trunk lid?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4443
Ive heard the term sympathetic frequency or as Id also call it resonant frequency tap on the cab of the car and what do you hear "sound" so adding mass changes the sympathetic or resonant frequency ...at least thats how i see it

Gold Member

Post Number: 4444
this may seem like a silly question but why dont people use wood instead i mean it would be cheaper and alot more dense and comes in varied thicknesses i mean you could outlay a trunk and could make it air tight and it wouldnt be all that hard either and as ive said before you could even paint it and make it part of your install artisticly speaking...and thats just the trunk

Gold Member

Post Number: 4445
by air tight i meant most of the joints air tight

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Trinidad & Tobago West...

Post Number: 152
hey what kind of wood would you use if you tried it sean you shoud try it out and see how it works out.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 777
You could, but wood doesn't "mold" to crazy contours and bumps like mat and spray on deadener do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4446
true but use what you can where you can all in a goal to do it cheaper and different

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 84
wood would not add mass to the sheet metal. You'd have to make a pretty tight enclosure around your sub enclosure to make sure the air pressure doesn't get out. Adding mass to the sheet metal makes it harder for the sheet metal to move from the pressure. As for the trunk lid, the top part of your trunk the part that lifts up or out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us