Isaac, Jonathan, GW, someone...Help...

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1255
Well I lowered the gain back to normal and my protect light is still coming on, but after longer periods of time, and then by itself it starts back up.

Also the amp isn't hot or anything. I really wish I knew what was going on. I didn't have this problem until I tried turning to gain closer to middle (at Isaac's reccomendation lol) and now even when lowered it's being retarded.

The only other odd thing was when I loosened took out reinserted, and tightened the 4 awg. power wire to the distro block. Not that what I did was ODD, but something I hadn't done before.

Please, help. I don't think the amp is fried or anything as it plays fine. I've checked all connections, and they're in line.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 657
Tyler, I had this same problem with an A8000T mono channel amplifier.. I had it powering a pair of 12's (4 ohm SVC parallel), and exchanged it twice, and it still did exactly the same thing with every new amp.

It's one of the main reasons I'm very anti-audiobahn in general. A lot of people recomend that amp, and may have tested it, or listened to it for a minute and given it a thumbs up.. But I was very upset with the build quality, etc, of that model.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1258
Well...I found my problem.

In another thread Jonathan suggested I check for frays. Well the wire that was stripped going into the distro. block (4 awg.) had some loose and broken off pieces of copper. I removed them, and I haven't had a problem since that. The pieces were probably causing some sort of static or short or SOMETHING.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 441
Well have you tried to turn the Gain back up since this problem was fixed because that might have been the reason it went into protection mode to began with an isaac might not have been wrong in telling you to turn it up so that im gonna kick ur butt isaac post might have been out of line an the guy might be owed an apology LOLOLOL

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1260
Isaac knows I was just messing with him lol.

Anyways, the gain is back up to normal, and so far no problems. In fact, went to the store tonight, and mom ran in so I thought I'd do three things...

Test the system for bugs (weren't any).
Attract attention from other people (didn't work out as most people going to the store tonight were like 40+ yrs. lol)
And kill time thirdly.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1265
Well...It happened AGAIN tonight!

Thing is, there was a HUGE amount of time between when I fixed it and when it happened tonight. It's been like a day or more. I THINK it might have something to do with the ground...It seems a little loose where it's screwed down.

I jiggled it around, while the prot. light was on, and then both the prot. and power light were on. Moved it again, and the power light was just on. On the way home, it died again (prot. light).

Does anyone know what's going on? I don't abuse the amp at all. And if this is the case, I'm going to be pretty pi$$ed since I bought the A6004T...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5284
Tyler, next time the protection kicks in, try and measure the voltage flowing into the amp.
Also, at what song is the problem occuring at? Is it with heavy bass?
As I have mentioned before, lack of voltage, signal overload, too much voltage, a short, too low of resistance, could all cause protection.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1266
How do I measure the voltage? I have a couple little meters with with red and black prongs that come out of the meter...They're used for testing electronic equipment I believe, will those work?

I THINK it's the ground being loose. It happened this morning. I went back to the trunk, moved the ground around, and it kicked back on in less than a second. The place that installed used a small screw in a large hole lol. So I need to use a larger screw to clamp it down, and hopefully that solves the problem for good.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5285
If the meter is analog, then it'll be hard to read. As long as it measures volts, it can work.
That seem to be a common thing. I used large screw and a nut for my ground.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4726
that will deff solve your problem Tyler I have seen that before. When the small screw shifts inside the bigger hole it loses contact therefor losing its ground.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1267
Thanks for the help. I have a couple of those meters, one is a lot bigger than the other but still has the "probes" so to speak.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us