ISAAC IM GOING TO KICK YO' BUTT!

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1200
You know on that A8002T post you said I could run the gain a bit higher safely? Well guess what...

My D@MN PROTECTION LIGHT CAME ON!!!

My subs are 12" Assassins (4 ohm SVC) wired in PARALLEL for a 2 ohm load to the amp. A8000T is stable at 2 ohms of course.

Ok, so I turn the gain up just a smidge above where it was, and I switch through a couple songs, my LPF is set to about 80Hz (middle of setting), and so I get to Laffy Taffy. I'm standing near my trunk when I hear a *pop* kind of noise from the amp turning off and look and MY RED PROTECTION LIGHT IS ON!!!

The amp wasn't even SLIGHTLY warm! I have NO CLUE as to why the light came on, so I restarted the car, reset the gain, and it seemed to work, and the subs sounded the same. What on earth caused this?

Now a couple weeks ago, my Mom and I had a couple of backseat passengers, one of which was a girl about 12 years old. And I found my distro. block that was with my wiring kit had been pulled between the back and sitting part of the seat (bucket seats). Also I noticed the 4 awg. wire was VERY loose and pulled nearly free from the block. The 8 awg. wire was still secured. While the car was off, I loosened the screw, put the wire back in, and screwed the wire back in, and to prevent this I mounted the distro. block thing to the box.

Would THAT have anything to do with my amp messing up? I don't see how as all it was was a wire had come loose and I placed it back in. I have done that with my HU's power wire numerous times when messing around in the back of it, and NEVER had a problem.

HELP! Or at least tell me what caused the protection light to come on.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1201
Is it possible the gain was just set too high? My HU's pre-outs are 4V (Kenwood). Is it possible that they are just "strong" 4V pre-outs? I remember reading on here that brands like Alpine even though they have high V pre-outs still require a higher setting on the outputs...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5527
If you heard a pop, your positive wire likely shorted to ground. You probably fixed it by moving the distro block, just go over all your wiring and make sure it isn't frayed anywhere.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1204
When I fixed the distro. block there was a tiny little crack noise, something similar that I heard when hooking up my HU.

I moved the distro. block BEFORE the incident. After I restarted the car and lowered the gain to where it was before, the system continued to play at full level for just as long if not longer than it had before it went into protect mode. So I'm guessing that the amp just shuts off like that when it goes into clipping or it knows it's being pushed too hard?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1206
While this is here...My current wiring kit runs a 4 awg. wire from batt. to distro. block and then allows for a double 8 awg. output.

It's one of those Scosche 800-1400W http://store.yahoo.com/gofast/scosefx4gaug.html
Kind of like that one. Only mine said up to 1400W...But anyways, for me to run my A6004T with my A8000T would there be a problem with using the other 8 awg. outlet on the distro. block to run to the A6004T?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1210
BUMP!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5277
Tyler, a lack of power/too much power/signal overload all can cause an amp to go into protection.
There is no such thing as "strong 4v." It's either 4v or not. In most cases, the HU might put out 4v, but if you boost the bass/equalizer, it will alter the preout volts.
If having the gain/level at the middle causes protection, then lower it.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1211
So...I'm going to say lack of power at IDLE (which I was).

Of course, I can't just go switching the gain to cooperate with whether I'm idling or driving, so I'll leave it as it was until I get a H/O alt, and see if it changes.

I noticed when I was messing around as well, that the place that did my install, it appears that the RCAs/Power wire were run on the same side! However, I've never heard any humming or anything...In fact, all the wires looked as if they're run on the same side. Although this could be because they all come out from behind the same back seat, but who knows.

Also, could someone answer my question about running my A6004T and A8000T from that same distro block? My alt. can handle a full volume while driving with no dimming at all. While idling SOME dimming but nothing like I've seen with problematic charging problems.

Regardless, would a 2 awg. or 0 awg. power wire upgrade be necessary to run both amps? (obviously a bigger distro. would be as well.)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5278
Instead of guessing, try adding both amp's current draw and compare that to the wire's max current limit.
Without HO alternator, 0 gauge wires won't do much.
Remember, the "middle" setting for the gain/level is just a guide. Sometimes, depending on the HU, it may have to be set a little higher/lower.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1217
Good idea. Sometimes I think you're my common sense half lol.

Well generally, what's the max Amp rating a 4 awg. wire can run?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us