Infinity vs polk: Need help deciding

Theresa
Unregistered guest
I read some great reviews on both the infinity reference 6012si 6 1/2 speakers and the polk db650 6 1/2, both are 2-way. I was wondering which one would be the best with a setup of:
Pioneer deck deh-7700mp 50 x 4watts
2 infinity reference subs 1240w 600rms watts
I haven't purchased my amp...still looking...but i will be amping my speakers. Also if you have some suggestions on amps that would be great also

Unregistered guest
Infinity. Polk is sub par. Go all out infinity. Great SQ .

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5526
I'd probably take the Polks. IMO a better component system for the money.

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 14
Polks for sure. Better midrange and a much nicer tweet IMO. The tweet isn't too harsh and the midrange is punchy, more so than the Infinity. Also i've been more impressed with Polks amped than Infinitys. Infinitys seem to delicate while the Polks can take a pounding and still sound good. My first set of speakers were Polks and they did well for my young "SQ-immature" needs, lots of midbass and mids. If you can the polk/momo's are nice speakers also.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1215
Jonathan...I was pretty set on some Infinity's now this just made me re-think it....O.o

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1216
I don't mean to intrude, but I have a similar question (Inf. VS. Polk) and don't think anyone would object to me saving some of Ecoustics already limited bandwidth lol.

Infinity Kappa 50.7cs
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=108507CS

OR

Polk Audio MMC5250
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&id=morephoto s&pi=2&i=107MMC5250&display=XL

Yes, I can get them both at nearly half price on E-Bay, but which would provide the nicest mids and highs without sounding harsh?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5529
Prob. the Momos.

"My first set of speakers were Polks and they did well for my young "SQ-immature" needs, lots of midbass and mids. If you can the polk/momo's are nice speakers also."

Try the SRs. For the more SQ mature listener :-). Extremely nice component system, in my Top 5 for sure.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1224
What are SR's? And are they in the same price range as those Momo's?

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 16
well first, like i said Jon, those were my first set of speakers a while back. But thats in the past and my tastes have changed much. New set includes CDT ES-600, HD-4s, drt-25s and maybe the ES 07.01 tweets all in front.

The SR series has been getting some nice reviews from mags but i'm not quite bought on them. Definitely nice sounding but i wouldn't put them over my ES's. I haven't really looked at the prices but the SR's are more. its there Signature Reference series( i believe thats the name pretty sure) and uses some of the HT technology IIRC. But i'll stick with my CDT's run active, hard to go wrong with Vifa drivers run active. I don't know if i'd put the Polk SRs in my top 5, depends on price, but I would have to say one of my top 5 comps is a set i've never even listened to, funny huh. Its a Stereo Integrity component set that Nick has to make the crossover for it and get the drivers for me. From what he was saying they're killer but i have yet to hear a set. But he took the same time that they took with the Mags i'm sure they're killer.

Bronze Member
Username: Luke5513

Post Number: 68
infinity all the way, i've always use the infinity line and they are great sounding spaekers for the money, if money is no object than go with diamonds or boston. the reference is a great speaker, but you mite want to save a little and move to the kappa's, it's a world of differance.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5531
Keep in mind I'm talking more about prepackaged component sets, as the results that are had with raw drivers are too dependant on the user to be able to generalize performance :-). There are lots of DIY combinations that I would do above them, but there's too much out there to really narrow down. Probably SEAS Excels with ribbons.

My favs so far (out of comp sets) are the SEAS Lotus Reference components. I've been more impressed with them over the SRs and Eurosports (no offense). Main reason I'd put the SRs in my top 5 is because they do so well with less than stellar recordings, they are really smooth and have good tonality. They aren't the most detailed set out there, but they're nice if you're wanting something a little less critical. Others I'm more impressed with include the Dynaudio System 360, Morel Elates, AVI Tri-Star BSM, and Rainbow Platinums. There are so many more sets I've been wanting to listen to, though. Boston Zs are pretty nice, too.

Also keep in mind that I haven't heard the extremely expensive components like Hertz Milles, Rainbow References, Genesis Audio Absolutes. I have heard the Focal Bes and Alpine F#1 Status separates, and I'll just say I'll spend the $750 for the Lotus comps and burn the rest of it before I put them in my car. Not impressed at all when it's put into perspective.

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 375
what about some 6.25 coaxial speakers running off of a HU that is 45 x 4. what would be a goos set of coaxials that have good highs? i have 2 subs so i need a little more highs...

please help, i was thinkin some infinity ref coaxial 6012si speakers, but i am open to opinions. i dont want really expensive.

thanks guys

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 379
bump

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 61
45x4 HU, never seen that one before more like 17x4. I can see how much a set of EF-61NeoX cost you, i think 95$ shipped in 48states. They have a nice tweet. Shallow mounting makes an easy install but does take a little away from the midbass.

and i'd take some Seas or Morel if they'd let me be a dealer but since they won't i'll keep my ES's. Run active the ES's are quite nice, alot better than run off the crossover. I have yet to try the 5000Hex with the set which i heard does some good things. I really like the Morel HT drivers andthe Dayton drivers too.

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 381
my HU is a kenwood KDC-128:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14769

what is EF-61NeoX? i dont really need some bass because i have 2 subs that are bassy enough. I dont want the tweeter to be harsh when i turn it up and they are going in the front doors, so i will be putting my fader mostly on them (in the front) so that "the soundstage is up-front"

for these specs what might be another good set of coaxials to run of HU??
'
thanks

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 384
b u m p

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 386
ahhhh

it didnt bump

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 92
sorry bassman didn't check on this thread ofr a while, but the EF-61NeoX is a coax version for the EF series.

http://www.alteraudiousa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CDT%20EF-61NEOX

I've sold a few lately and only heard good things on them.

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 387
i have you heard them borfore? i am a little hesitant just because i havent heard them before and that not many people know bout them... what do you think?? i just like the infinityy ref because they are cheaper, and decent. what do you think?? have you heard them? can you give me some more ideas abouts a pair of coaxial speakers 6.5? thanks alot...

what about some BA's or somthing... get me some great choices for not a huge price, and i am going to be running 2 pairs of these speakers off my HU, on pair in my front doors and 1 pair in the back trunk...

thanks alot.

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 388
have you heard them borfore? i am a little hesitant just because i havent heard them before and that not many people know bout them... what do you think?? i just like the infinityy ref because they are cheaper, and decent. what do you think?? have you heard them? can you give me some more ideas abouts a pair of coaxial speakers 6.5? thanks alot...

what about some BA's or somthing... get me some great choices for not a huge price, and i am going to be running 2 pairs of these speakers off my HU, on pair in my front doors and 1 pair in the back trunk...

thanks alot.

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 98
nice reposts. The EFs are quite solid in the midrange and highs. The shallow mount takes a little from the midbass but makes it easy to install. Most good aftermarket coax or speakers in general have a mounting depth that may be problems for some. I like the pioneer rev's and the polk momo's. I don't usually use coax's too much so thats about it for my suggestions.

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 394
polk momos? how much are those? and pioneer revs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us