CDT vs. DLS vs. Diamond vs. MB Quart . . ..

Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 5
Im goin to get one of these brand 6x9's for the rear next week. Not that I'm trying to undermind ANYONES opinion, but I know lots of people have high opinions for ALL the above brands, but the series that carries the 6x9 (Whether coax or comp) is not the series alot of people are recomending to me.

For instance, QSD's, Iridiums, HD's, and Hex's etc. . . are ALL VERY NICE, but they dont make 6x9 for that series. Has anyone here actually personnally heard ACTUAL 6x9's from these brands best series avalible.

MB Quart= RCE-269
DLS = R964 or DLS 962
CDT = CL-69X
Diamond Audio= D391i
JL Audio = VR690-cxi or XR570-csi

Surely some one out there has personally made a point to hear these products given all the hype from their other products. Anything on the matter is appreciated. I want best SQ possible. Thanks for the help !

Nick O.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5505
I'd take the DLS R964 6x9s personally. Pretty nice for a 6x9. You'd be better off getting a 6.5" speaker, there are plenty of adaptors to make them work. It'll open up your options a lot more. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on rear fill, though, especially if passengers aren't a concern. It's not needed.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 491
Ive never heard that specific DLS speaker but my guess is that it would be the best.

i agree 100% with johathan 6.5' speakers are the way to go.

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
only thing i don't like about the DLS is that the tweet is mounted like a coax, while the DLS has a better midrange i'll give the highs to the CDT's due to the better crossover and better imaging potential.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5511
Imaging from rear fill, though? It's a moot point :-)

I'd still rather have simple midbass drivers for rear fill. None at all would be my #1 choice.

Silver Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 162
I'd have to say that i hate the MB quart ones they are jsut so bright, especially for rear fill. The new diamond line has jsut came out, you'd be looking at hte d392i. Those are VERY nice speakers. The JL audio one's are ok, i personally didn't liek the midbass.

I'd agree with jonathan, no rear fill is #1!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5099
Thats why i have both front stage & rearfill - depending on my listening mood & i can just use the fader on my HU

But personally i prefer to have some degree of rear fill speakers - its all up to your tastes .......

alteraudiousa2
Unregistered guest
CDT does sell just the woofers, they're 100$. If you are going to have rear fill though you might as well do it right

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5518
I would consider "right" (read: realistic) to be midbasses crossed over into lower midrange, where you get a simulation of the frequencies that would actually be reflected in a concert hall, auditorium, etc. Treble is a no-no for a rear ambient setup. I'd just use a bandpass crossover running from around 100hz up to 200 or 300hz, no more than that.

Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 2
you and I Jon would have a much more discerning ear though than others. Most would more than likely not even notice if highs were coming from the rear and if it did interfere with the soundstage and if they did at least do it what i would say is "right" and have the rear stage not overpower the front. But it all has to come down to how much one really cares or notices and how much time they'll invest in it. But i think whoever is buying the speakers will be happy with any set except the MBs. Go BA's instead of MB's.

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 6
Im not really too concerned with imaging. I just want good sound quality to come from the rear chn as well as the front. My rear will not overpower the front, I kinda want somewhat of an even distribution or the front a little louder than the rear. And out of curiousity, what are BA's ?

Nick

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 30
Boston Acoustic

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 8
Fellows, after thinkin long, hard, and becoming dejectedly impatient. I just decided to get another compnent set for the rear instead of 6x9's. I bought the first set I ran into for a decent price, The "Hex" series from Diamond. Since I heard they sound argumentively better than the Quarts, I may just put the Hex's in the front and the Quarts in the back. The way I figured it, I have 2 VERY NICE component sets, driven with good amps, and a good HU. It has to sound great no matter what ! Thanks for all your help ALL ! I really learned some things I did not know from reading not only my posts, but other peoples as well. I know I may not have taken all advice given, but definately took it all in to deep consideration. Hopefully the sound will be worth it. And if not, then Ill just say screw the rear ch and get a rear fill (120 - 300 Hz) with the better of the 2 comp sets. If anyone still has any suggestions, please feel free to comment. I will not get this installed in the car for another week or 2 max. What are the opinions of millions on DEQ-7600 or the 9600 (15 band active crossover/digital sound processor) ? Thanks for all the help !

Nick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us