What should my frequency be turned to on my 600.4 amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 24
I have a 4ch kicker 600.4 amp with 2 kappa 6x9 speakers on 1 set of channels and the other set there is 2 4way 6.5" wired to one of the channels and the other channel has 2 tweeters on it. So 2 of my channels on the same side both have 2 speakers per channel. I think everything is a 2 ohm load because the kappas are 2ohm and then the other speakers are all 4 ohm and when they are together they are at a 2 ohm. What should the frequency be on, on the amp? Is it okay to have 4 speakers and 2 tweeters all pushed by the amp? It sounds fussy and disorted sometimes and I am wondering if it is the frequency or the wiring. I have both frequency settings turned about 25% up from the lowest. Should it go more or less? Please help.
Thanks
Brad

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1190
are all four of your channels being used, i hope so, if not your going to burn that amp up. best way is to turn amp all the way down then turn radio past normal listening, then adjust accordingly.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 375
Do the tweeters have their own crossovers? If not they're probably already blown.

instead of running the 6.5's on on channel and the tweeters on another, put a 6.5 with a tweeter on each channel. otherwise you've got tweeters playing all left signal and 6.5's all right signal (or vice versa). That will result in horrible sound quality.

For where your crossover settings should be...
For the 6x9's you should be able to run those at or near 50 hz (all the way counter-clockwise).

For the 6.5/tweeters I would set it at about 9 or 10 o'clock.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 27
am not sure if they have there own crossover, unless it has one built in it. I have a 4ch amp off a compasitor and another mono amp and 2 subs also off the compasitior if this matters. So, it will make a difference to have the tweeter and the 6.5 together rather then tweeters together on the same channel? IF this is the amp, (1st set- ((1.+-) (2.+-))) (2nd other side ((3.+-) (4.+-))). I would have 1 kappa on 1& 1 kappa on 2 +- on the 1st set, and on the second it goes (3.Tweeter+tweeter), then (4.- 6.5"+6.5" door speakers). The speakers are 2. 4way 6.5 pioneers, off brand 2. dome tweeters, and kappa 6x9 3way. I think the kappas are 2 ohm, but am not sure, and do not know what they are wired to. I think the amp is 2 ohm stable and the tweeters still work. My amp is the kicker 600.4, the older kx model.
Thanks

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 29
okay 6 speakers on a 4 channel amp. first +- is a kappa then the next is a kappa. The next 2 sets of +- are the other 4 speakers which are the 2 6.5" on the same channel and the two tweeters on the other same channel

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 397
6x9's are fine.
Put a 6.5 with a tweeter on each of the other two channels and you're good to go. Tweeters are generally pre wired with a small cap to block low freqs. Yours must be since they're still working.

Upload

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 31
Okay. I will do that. Would it be better to put the 6x9's on the other side like this person said too?
would switch it around, most 4ch amps have EQ/crossovers on the 3 and 4th channels that are geared more for mids and low while the first and second are better on the highs. Are you trying to run active, cause no offense but i don't think you know exactly what you're doing and you won't get as good as sound as if you have a crossover. If you need a crossover but buy one or i'll sell you a set sitting around here. I think i have my Orion and the CDT SatNet 480s around here but they aren't matched to your Infnitys but at least its a start.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 34
Should the kappas 6x9 be on amp 2?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 405

it doesn't matter which channels the 6x9's are on vs the 6.5's tweeters - both pairs of channels and their processing options are identical on that amp.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 406
the only concern would be matching your rca inputs up to the spkr outputs correctly so you get your balance and fade right.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 36
Thanks, so I should put 1 tweeter with 1 6.5" and the channels don't matter on this amp? I am good doing it like the model above or opposite? Why does 1 tweeter go better with 1 6.5" then 2 tweeters and 2 6.5"? Just curious? Also, if this matters, I have only 1 rca output from the head unit into the 4ch amp, but 1 ends branches out to 2 ends so it is connected to 4 total rca's like a Y, so it fills up all 4 RCA outputs. I just have 1 set of +- going to the amp, but they are connected with 2 RCA each so I have ++&--. Does, this matter and how should I run that? I am guessing that I just match them up by +-+-. I think the other RCA cables are ran to the other amp and then the AUX output has nothing on it. I think my headunit kenwood 5028 has 4 outputs and 2 Aux. Is this okay how it was wired?
Thanks for all the help!

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 37
Thanks, so I should put 1 tweeter with 1 6.5" and the channels don't matter on this amp? I am good doing it like the model above or opposite? Why does 1 tweeter go better with 1 6.5" then 2 tweeters and 2 6.5"? Just curious? Also, if this matters, I have only 1 rca output from the head unit into the 4ch amp, but 1 ends branches out to 2 ends so it is connected to 4 total rca's like a Y, so it fills up all 4 RCA outputs. I just have 1 set of +- going to the amp, but they are connected with 2 RCA each so I have ++&--. Does, this matter and how should I run that? I am guessing that I just match them up by +-+-. I think the other RCA cables are ran to the other amp and then the AUX output has nothing on it. I think my headunit kenwood 5028 has 4 outputs and 2 Aux. Is this okay how it was wired? Should I just play with the fade on the head unit until it is right or will it not be right with the 1 RCA cable?
Thanks for all the help!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 442
I already explained this - it's the whole reason why I recommended the change...

Each pair of channels is a Left/Right pair. This is what gives us image and depth in music. Without we'd just be listening to AM radio quality all the time.
You have different signals/sounds in the left channel vs the right. If you have just a tweeter on one side you'll miss all the low-mid material in that channel, and all the high sounds in the other.

If you just use one pair of rca inputs you will lose the ability to fade front to rear. You just need to keep Left/right straight. Red is typically right - they both start with "R".

It would be advised, since you have a nicer HU with dual pre outs (2 pairs) to go ahead and run the 2nd set b/c one of them is front one is rear.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 39
Oh okay, Sorry about all the trouble. I understand now. Thanks for all of the help. one question though, I have 2 amps and 1 of the RCA are to the 1ch amp and 1 to the 4ch amp. I think there is only 2 RCA pairs with a Aux RCA pair. Now what do I do or does it not really matter if I have the fade and balance? Again, Thanks for all of your help.
Thanks
Brad

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 444
I would use y-cables on your rear outputs one set for the rear channels of the 4 ch, the other set to the mono.

The other option would be to use the line outs of the amp, but it dosn't appear the 600.4 has that feature.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 40
okay, thanks!

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 41
Hey, I wired everything how you said and on my head unit the balance was changing and not the fade, so I switch the RCA pairs around and the words stopped working. So, I changed it back and now everything sounds good and the balance changes, but not fade. I am guessing that it really doesn't matter, but why would the words not work if the RCA cables were switched and the base still worked? I am going to post this question just in case you dont see this.
Anyways thanks a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us