Does it matter

Bronze Member
Username: Luke5513

Post Number: 11
does it matter how long the speaker wire from the amp to the subs are? will it effect anything?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1988
you won't notice it. but try to keep it as short as possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thanks

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 654
It matters of course!
If you wire those subs, with like 100ft of speaker wire, you are adding the resistace of all that wire, to your current resistance of the sub.
extreme ex: 1ohm (wire) + 2ohm (sub) = 3ohm, the amp will see.

You can simply use a DMM: measure 1 end of the wire with 1 prob, and the other end with 1 prob.
It will give you some type of resistance.

This goes with any type of wire.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1155
not for the matter of the trunk in a car......

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 847
even 100 ft of decent speaker wire adds negligent amount of resistance. you would need thousands of feet of speaker wire to get anything significant. plus i see no reason for more than 10ft of speaker wire in the trunk of your car.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 658
ohh yea, no doubt.
it may be 1 milli ohm or a micro ohm or even nano ohm.
resitance is resitance! thats the whole freakin point!

same goes for speaker or power wire.
its something called circular mills?
heard of it?
and in the forumla when length increases so does resistance.

im not arguing, lol
just tell what i know from alot of semesters.

but if you are designin a circuit board, then yea, you will held to even closer tolerences.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 848
equation to find resistance of a wire with specific length and cross-sectional area:
R = pL/A where p is the resistivity constant for the metal, L is the length of the piece and A is the cross-sectional area in m^2

for a 100 ft length of 20 gauge wire, resistivity of copper being 1.72 E-8 ohm-m, R=.79 ohm

since normal people use 16 or higher lets try 16 at what normal people would use in a car.
5 meters of 16 gauge wire gives .065 ohms or resistance.
now if you are running high power you probably want to use something like 14 gauge wires and lets be more sensible and say we use about 2 meters of wire since amps are usually mounted right on the sub box. resistance is .016 ohms. there really is no need to worry about wire resistance unless you are stupid enough to use 100 ft of 20 gauge wire just to wire your sub.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 659
thats why i told him measure it, with a DMM.

now someone is going to try put 1000ft of wire in the trunk to have a block party.
lol

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1992
lol when i answered him on this thread i was thinking the difference of length would be under 10 feet. unless you have a bus why would you need that much wire. lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
wow, you guys lost me here, I'm useing about 10 feet of wire. I have about three feet of slack. i wasn't sure if i needed to take out the slack?

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 666
lol
didnt mean to confuse u. just making the statment that the longer the wire, the more resistance there is.
rofl

it will be ok.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 850
i can just imagine some ricer idiot wrapping their car in 100 ft of speaker wire. the wire probably would cost more than the car itself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us