Which is better at SPL, SQ, SQL, or quickness? 12" ported or 15" sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 121
But does it also depend on the subwoofer?

For example, a 15" TI sealed and a 12" TI ported

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 183
It's more a matter of opinion. Very debatible topic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
thats the smartest thing i heard you say P.imp

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1032
yea it depends on the sub , some like sealed and some like ported , like with my sx , you dont wanna stick it in a sealed box

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5493
Tis do best in ported enclosures bar none. Go with the 12" ported for SQ. SPL will be about the same as the sealed 15".

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
i thought the tis performed best in small sealed enclosures?

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
Im good like that pelon.Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1058
thats what ive always heard , u just gotta experiment

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
WTF P!mp?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5504
Ported is key. I've dealt with Eclipse before, and one thing I can tell you is that Eclipse tech support doesn't really "know" their sub lineup, nor do they really recommend the best applications for these subs. I know that line may sound a little crazy, but Eclipse subs are built by TC sounds. I have dealt with enough Tis and the older Aluminums, and I can promise you they do MUCH better ported. You can verify this just by plotting this in WinISD or more elaborate box building programs. They are heavily inclined to ported enclosures.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
but do they still perform well in small enclosures?

and whats the ported and sealed range for a 12" and a 15" ti

i would guess that the enclosures should be small.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
yea Pelon They def sound better in a sealed box.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5513
They perform well in small sealed boxes (pretty much any low Qts sub works well small sealed or ported), they just open up a LOT more ported. Much better low end out of the subs, combined with lower distortion.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2937
I have a sealed 2.25 cuft box for anyone interested to use. It was used for my Avalanche 15 but can also be used for this Eclipse Ti 15.

Anyone interested here just let me know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
hey jonathan, i thought that sealed has a better low end then ported.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4704
How much 4 the box MO

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5514
"hey jonathan, i thought that sealed has a better low end then ported."

Nope. Ported is stronger down to tuning frequency. Below that, ported rolls off at a faster rate than sealed, but if you tune low ported will have higher SPL at any audible frequency.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
but when you tune lower doesnt the tuning frequency peak become flat like sealed?

like the lower you tune the flatter the peak spl is at.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5515
A .707 q is usually recommended for sealed. Fsc (-3db point) typically occurs between 40-50hz for most examples of 12" subs, though it varies. 10s and 8s will be even higher. Fc is resonance, which will be at a higher frequency than F3. So, your sub will effectively be flat to Fc and will roll off at a rate of approximately 12db/oct past that. At and around resonance, a sealed sub sees its highest excursion, also the most distortion at that point. That's one thing I don't like about sealed at high volumes, since you're in the meat of the bass range.

A ported box will (should) give a flat response down to tuning. The difference between ported and sealed is that it allows a lower system resonance than sealed (say 30hz or whatever you tune to), thus giving you improved low frequency response. The port also gives more mechanical control over the driver at that point, lowering distortion in addition to the added output. Ported boxes are actually capable of being better damped at resonance than sealed boxes are. Remember, ported enclosures aren't actually 3db louder at all frequencies, they're considered 3db louder is because they are able to provide a flat response to a lower frequency. In a car, this can result in a peak due to transfer function (cabin gain). The only time you get a peaky anechoic output is when it is designed for that, or you are using a sub not well suited for a ported enclosure. Drawbacks of ported are that they lose power handling below tuning, and group delay is higher.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1111
don't mean to hijack this thread but jonathan have you heard of a single reflex band pass box, i was reading about it in one of my carstereo books, its a seald box and a ported box in one, and i was wondering if you knew any information on it.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us