Need help with dual 4 ohm subs

Username: Bdoza

Post Number: 1
I have a 4 channel amp i am wanting bridged to 2 dual 4 ohm subwoofers. Do i need to hook up both sets of + and - terminals or will just one set work? The amp can only handle a 4 ohm load. what are my options here?

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
you'll bridge channel 1 and 2 to one set of terminals and bridge 3 and 4 to the other. You will run one RCA and use a y-splitter to seperate the signal and run to both channels. Unfortunately you will not use any of the EQ/crossover features on the amp and it must be controlled at the HU. Typically 4 ch. amps have channels 1 and 2 setup for more full range and have less steep db slopes. The 3 and 4 channel usually have things like bass boost and a steeper crossover slope. So no use of the amp's onboard EQ. It'll work but i wouldn't use it permanently and would save up for a dedicated amp for the sub.

Post Number: 2
yes, but my speakers are dual 4 ohm, meaning there are 2 sets of terminals(+ & -) on each speaker. should i not bridge the amp and just send the front 2 channels to one speaker and the back 2 for the other? or should i bridge the amp and only use one set of terminals on each speaker?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1081
cant do it. either bridge for 8 ohms or run both subs to 1 bridged channel at 4ohms.

Post Number: 3
i am sorry, i'm still confused. what are you saying can't be done? how can i bridge the subs for them to be 4 ohm. they are dvc subs. do i need to use both voice coils on each sub? somebody please help. thanks everybody.

Post Number: 4
okay, nevermind. i understand what you mean now. disregard that last post. you see i didnt know they were dvc subs until i popped a speaker out of the box. only one set of voice coils were connected on each speaker. thats how the guy hooked it up and it sounds fine. However i read that this could hurt my speakers. i took it to a professional place to hook them up. what is going on here? did they hook them up wrong so i would think i blew my subs and come back for more? can somebody explain what type of damage can be done here? non damage has been done yet after a week or so.

Post Number: 5
okay, disregard that last post. i understand what you are trying to say now. will either of those options put the same amount of power to each sub? another question i have is what kind of damage can be done to the subs only having one voice coil hooked up on each sub? i had the guy wire everything at the car audio place. did he not know what he was doing? or was he trying to make me think i blew my subs to come back for more? who knows. i'm just curious what kind of damage can be done, because i think it sounds fine hooked up the way he did it. but now i'm scared because i read it can damage the subs. thanks everybody.

Post Number: 6
what about the 4 channel amp. could i just run channel one straight to one voice coil and channel to to the other on the same sub, and the same for the other sub with the other 2 channels? what would that do?
sorry for posting so much, the one before last i thought didnt go through. then i had another idea for this post. anyways, thanks a lot for everything. have a good one.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 515
one voice coil to each channel on your amp.

Post Number: 7
how would i wire that through the box? can the wires from both voice coils touch, or do they need to be seperate?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
they need to be seperate, and it is not the best way to run it, your going to have to drill a hole for each side. you best bet, use that for internal speakers and buy a 1 ohm mono amp for the subs.

Post Number: 8
okay, so if i continue to use the 4 channel amp, would it be worth the trouble to drill the extra holes and run the extra wiring? Or would i be better off just bridging at 8 ohms like you told me earlier?

Post Number: 9
let me tell ya what i've got, i've got 2 hart professional pulse series 10" 350 watt 150w rms 4ohm dvc subs, and i've got a 400watt 4 channel amp, 4 x 100 watts peak into 4ohm @ 1 khz +/-5, 4 x 50 watts rms into 4ohm @ 1 khz +/-5, the output impedance is 4 ohm recommended, it is bridgeable (4 ohm impedance minimum). what kind of amp would be best for these subs? any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1104
I would use the 4 channel for mids and highs, and www.ikesound.com has a orion 600d or 155 and a directed 750d for 79 plus shipping, that is what I would use for the subs. your killing 2 birds with just buying an amp for the subs, cleaning up your interior sound supplying right size amp to subs.

Post Number: 10
awesome idea man, thanks a lot for the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1108
thats what we are here for....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
will that 750d not blow my subs. the amp says 1200 watts and the subs are only 350 each.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
nevermind, that's just the picture. What about a 2 channel amp, so i dont have to reconfigure the box? any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1114
how many wires coming out the box? and that amp is 600wrms

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
and it leaves you some room to go to a better sub in the future...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
well, if i get a mono amp, wont i have to wire the speakers in series or parallel, which means i will have to modify the box? or are there some class d 2 channel amps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
what about the profile HA600? is that an alright amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1116
if those are dual 4 subs and you have 2 wires comming out the box, then I personnaly would buy the directed mono amp, not much more and muc much better quality, if it has 2 wires out just hook positive to positive and neg to neg. you puukled a speaker out, was the + goin to the other + then to the terminal cup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
no, it's like it was wired for svc subs because the 2nd voice coil on each sub was not even wired up to anything at all, but they work and sound just fine. that is why i am confused. do these second voice coils even need hooked up?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
there are 4 wires coming out of the box (2 on each side)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1119
yeah, they should be hooked up, those should have a jumper from one side to the other then 1 ore to the terminal in the box and the 1 wire(+, and -) per side, +of one side to + of other side(same sub) - to - and then =, - to terminal inside box, this wioll create a 2ohm load. do this per sub and the buy the directed amp and run +'s together and -'s together to give a 1ohm load,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
so you can just run the amp straight to each sub, (2) + speaker wires in the positive terminal on the amp, and 2 (-) speaker wires in the negative terminal on the amp.......Duh, that would be the same thing as rewiring the box....okay, i just realized that, but how much rms power is that going to send to each sub with that amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
you still need to hook up the other voice coils in the box on the subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
yeah, i realize that now, but how much wattage is this 750d putting out? remember my subs can only handle 350 watts peak and 150w rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
600 but if you control the gain and your fingers on volume, yopu be ok, also allows you to upgrade to a little better subs later on> always think ahead in the future....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
awesome man, i appreciate everything. have a good one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
one last question, 600w rms, but what about peak power? 750 watts? or 1200 watts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
nevermind, i see....stupid picture.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us