Building Boxes

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

HB, SK Canada

Post Number: 177
Hey, alot of people at my school are starting to get systems and they all want me to install it and make boxes, cause i have good marks in construction and physics.. ive learned a bit about car audio and how to install stuff and build boxes, but any ideas on what i should charge for this?

Bronze Member
Username: Ruxpin20

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 56
130/box

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 780
Charge what you think is good for you. This is the beauty of democracy. If someone tells you to bid $10 and it is not enough, what will you do? How about all the ones that lerned the hard way to do business? The key to success is a secret. The ones that will tell you are doing you no favor, not to mention everyone else out there that is busting their but to earn a dollar.

If you dont know what to charge, then dont get involved. That is enough to tell you that you are not ready to do business.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1952
you could charge at least $150 on box alone. i know they can go to a stereo place and get one cheaper but you can't find a box built to your subs specs.

as far as installation goes depends on how good of a friend they are. lol. the closer they are to you charge them more. lol.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

HB, SK Canada

Post Number: 178
haha yea.. all these people are pretty good friends. Me and my friend devin are the only people in the school good with electronics and know what were doing when it comes to car audio. I just build my ported box and everyone says it looks sweet, so thats good

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1136
Basically, I'd do this...Take the cost of the materials, and multiply it by the time it took to do it...That's for the box that is.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1629
well unless ur doing fiberglass lol. caus thats like 100 for the box and then multiplied by like 15 hours lol. yes a shop may charge way more than that but c'mon you cant charge your friend that much lol

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 578
im tryin 2 start sellin boxes on a website. but i need to make a couple good boxes 2 show what i can do.ne1 want a box made?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1634
alex im sort of in your boat. but i dont want to build boxes nationally lol. but im planning on making a website that has HUs, amps, speakers, subs, yada yada. im giong to have pictures, information, andthe regular price. then im going to have my price. my price will be the ebay price with ebay warranty, i am not going to sell anything without warranty to cover my as$. oh and plus 10$ so i will make 10$ on everything sold. not much but thats not where i want to make my money. the reason for the site is so that people locally can look up what they want, then tell me. i will then order it for them and install it for WAY cheaper then our local shop. thats where im giong to make the most money. oh and i will have a part on the page showing my installs i have done. im going to get a dremel and a router here soon to really help me out on some great installs. i cant wait. especially summer when i can work on this stuff 4-5 hours a day! lol

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1867
when i build a box, i charge depending on how complicated the box it going to be.

for example:
single cab truck box for 1 10" L7 (1.7cuft tuned to 33hz)---$55

under back seat box for 2000 F150 ext cab---$80

"normal" ported box for 2 kicker comp 15's---$70

i sell my boxes REALLY cheap...and i am making a name for myself. the guy that w/ the ext cab f150 priced similar box to the one i built him at a local shop and they said ~$300!!!

everybody bumpin my boxes show off all the time and tell people what they paid and who made the box. i'm am starting to get people calling me all the time to get boxes built. i'm going to increase my prices by ~$20 very soon.

oh...one other thing, the local shop that quoted $300 for the box is going to hold a comp in april. i am getting everybody i built boxes for to show up and blow every class at the comp out of the water :-) i'm starting up an SPL team, Team Audible Insanity.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1638
i wish i could do something like that marshall. there are never comps around me. or maybe i just dont know how to find out about them? i wish i could have an SPL car too. there a 98 4runner that just sits in our driveway doing nothing. i wish my dad was into tthis stuff so we could build an SPL system in it. i dont have enough money to build my SQL system and build an SPL system.

but your boxes are very cheap. i bet you can build them quite fast though. raising your prices 20 is probably a good idea. they will still pay ti and you will make more money lol. goodluck!

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 583
my website is called farris audio. cause farris is my last name

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 301
send us a link

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 586
ummm..........lol it only has the mian layout though. im gonna try 2 get it done this week. probobly wont though

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1645
i just signed up for the webpage today lol. i havent begun to start so your ahead of me alex lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Panocha

Post Number: 16
I need three boxes who ever can make them for me for cheaper toss me a price. I need a sealed box for two 15" jl audio w3 , Another Dual 10" for 2 kickers this one ported. And another Single 10" For a jl WO also ported, get back at me.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 588
what kind of kickers, and where do u live, 4 shipping prices

Bronze Member
Username: Panocha

Post Number: 17
zip code 85033 kicker comp c12

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 590
do u have aim/ im me. my s/n is audioman92.$70 4 the comp box and $70 for the jl w3 box.+ shipping.

Silver Member
Username: Kwrubel21

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 165
i guess i'm charging WAY too little for my stuff. i just built a dual 12" sealed for my friends jbl power series subs. i only charged him 25 bucks. i only really made like 7 dollars. and when he get's his project done(87 grand national) i'm going to do a custom setup for his trunk. i'll probably charge a little more for that one.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1135
costs more for the mdf and supplies.....

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1649
alex what type of site are you using. like geocities homestead freewebsite or what? i tried playin with geocities but it wont let me upload any pictures its being gaay. j/w let me know thanks.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 591
well, my neighbor is makin the site and using geociteis. but i might get a paid website. cause geocities has ads.and it doesnt look profesional. any suggestions on a webhoster?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1652
yeah i was thinking of the same thing. i havent looked into it but the lady on the wwwgodaddy.com commercial is sexy lol. i dont really want to pay more than 10$ a month. and no catch.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 593
its hard 2 set up a shopping cart cause if ur building boxes 4 ppl, u need to make each box specifically 4 their sub. so they would have 2 email u and tell if they want ported, vinal,carpet, plexi, and if they need a certain size

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1653
you dont need a shopping cart, plus they are like an extra 9$ a month. when some1 wants a box they can just e-mail you for a quote. you quote them. then build it and get money. no need for a shopping cart.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 176
where can you get carpet for a box?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1656
www.cardomain.com is one of the many places..

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 595
hey danny, u interested in the boxes?

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 597
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums