5.25 or 6.5 and why

jac
Unregistered guest
gentlemen and ladies, i am pondering either the use of 5.25 or 6.5 component speakers. overall, the speakers have ALMOST identical specs, yet the 6.5 handles 10 more watts rms. all things being OVERALL equal, which should i finally choose. keeping in mind that these will be crossed over 100hz high pass and about 1300 hz low-pass. all help and info is appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 540
well 6.5 will have a little better midbass. but 5.25 speakers are also good if they are not as good as 6.5 then they are right behind them. I think w/ the 6.5 speakers they get a little bit louder. but as far SQ goes they should both be equal. it also depends on what brand of components your're looking at. the Jl XR 5.25 speakers are very good quality and probably not much different than their 6.5 version. the best thing for you to do would be to decide what brands you like then go listen to them and see which size sounds better.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5477
5.25 really isn't going to have any advantage over a 6.25 if you're using a 1300hz low pass. Upper midrange is where a 5.25 starts to pass a 6.5 in performance.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 779
Yes,

Your application would not matter which one you choose when it comes to sizes.

If I may;

Crossing in the middle of a frequency range is quite a gutsy move.

What I mean is that if you plan on making a custom crossover, then do not cross in the middle of the bass region, midrange region or tweeter region, (Especially in the midrange region). This is because crossovers cause dips and peaks before, at, and after the crossover knee.

The human ear is the most sensible in the midrange region. 1300 Hz is right in the middle of most sounds (human voice, guitar, keyboards, brass instruments, strings, percussion, etc..)

It also depends on which slope type you choose. A linkwitz/riley will behave different than a chebbychev, or a butterworth, etc...

You may be a crossover expert for all I know.

Just my .02

jac
Unregistered guest
truthfully, no. i am not a crossover expert. however, i dont believe i will be able to adjust the passive crossover i intend to buy. i will have an electronic crossover and an eq, so overall this might become a moot issue. but i would think that a larger diameter speaker would give a fuller sound, am i thinking wrongly?

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1146
Larger diameter speaker probably has greater efficiency and lower frequency response...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us