Looking for a good cd player

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisg001

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 33
I just bought a 2003 grandprix GTP with the BOSE sound system in it and am looking to replace the factory head unit with a new one. I am wondering what are the best head unit out there right now. All i want to know are opinions based on what you purchased and used not on facts alone. I have always had Pioneer Premier head units but am wondering is there something better. I can spen upto $500.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2507
No good. Bose systems are fully integrated-take one component out and the rest needs to be modified or it sounds awful-mostly due to the external factory amp and speakers with strange parameters.

Although it's up to you, I feel that the top of the line Clarions are great headunits along with Pioneer Premiers as well as select Alpine and Eclipse. I've used them all.

Username: Spkr589

Post Number: 6
Since you have the money, take a look at the Kenwood exelon 25th anniversery unit. That sucker is loaded with features. I have a lower excelon unit and I love mine. It is amazing :-) If I would have had the money, I would have bought the 25th annv. in a heartbeat!

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1078
normally on bose you can not just add a radio, the each speaker has an amp on them. if you change the radio, i will bet the speakers need to be as weel, I know the Mazda Miliiinium is like that.

Bronze Member

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 34
SHould i then replace the factory speakers with what kind. I am not really a buff on speakers though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
yes the book calls for 6x9 in rear and 6.5 in lower door, or 5.25. I have really nice orion set up 6.5 and 6x9 for $150shipped(no grills) but you should not need them.

Bronze Member

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 35
What are the best brands for speakers. I am not a buff but have never heard of orion. I can spend a lot of money on this onwards upto and including 1000 or more. SO i just want to see what is out there. Now i read in here that 6X9's are no good for music why is this and should i consider mods to fit others.

Bronze Member

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 36
DO i still need the bose non bose PAC interface if i replace everything or just the onstar interface and steering wheel interface.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1112
your going to need two different harnesss, But call PAC direct at 800-854-3133 to verify what you need for that car.

Bronze Member

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 38
OK i have decided to go with either the 25th aniversary edition deck or the Pioneer Premier deh-P860MP> Just having trouble deciding there are features i like in both ans some i don't just wondering if you guys have any comments or have used these HU before.

Bronze Member

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 39
OK i have decided to go with either the Kenwood 25th aniversary edition deck or the Pioneer Premier deh-P860MP> Just having trouble deciding there are features i like in both ans some i don't just wondering if you guys have any comments or have used these HU before.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1159
better call pac, at the number i gave you, the wiring harness and stuff could cost over 150 for them if not more.

Bronze Member

Sussex, WI United States

Post Number: 40
THey only cost $100 dollars for the bose sytstem/Onstar wiring harness. THe other harness is 40 to 60 depending on the ONLINE store you go to. So i know that i want suggstions on the unit not the harness.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1164
i do not think you would go wrong with either one, I do prefer pioneer, but it has drawbacks as far as aux in, you have to add an adapter to use it. not sure about the kenwood piece. price is about the same. i know that pioneer had a unit out the Deh-p90hdd, 10 gb harddrive, , it was a high end unit, but you can find the Pioneer refurbs on those for 400. Go to www.pioneerelectronics.com and search the specs on that deck. i ran one it was great, 160hrs storage time.

Bronze Member
Username: Luke5513

Post Number: 49
I'd go with the kenwood, i have the excelon 789 and it's great, the 25th would be even better. To me kenwood is the best out there!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2574
Ty has been giving great advice...if you do need the aux-in adaptor, I have one that's brand new I'm willing to sell (CD-RB10-still might want to check for compatibility)for $15 with you paying shipping.

Luke: Kenwood, from my experience, is an okay brand, but have you tried anything else?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us