Just got my 2 13 W7s installed!

Bronze Member
Username: Feelthebass

Bradenton , FL United states

Post Number: 21
I just got my two JL 13w7s and orion 2500 D installed and damn these subs by far exceeded my expectations they get so damn loud but yet still maintain decent SQ deff worth the money IMO,ill post pics of my install soon.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4433
glad u like it. cant wait 4 pics

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 943
yep im lookin forward to some pics

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1916
did you use the jl box or did you make your own? damn i want those subs.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 538
ya man i keep hearing that the W7's do not disappoint. That must sound freakin awesome congrats!!

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1941
damn only if those things didn't weigh so much i would save up and buy a pair. i really don't want to weigh down my car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
me and my boy made the box its a blow through it takes up the whole trunk in my town car then ports through the back seat

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
me and my boy made the box its a blow through it takes up the whole trunk in my town car then ports through the back seat

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1947
feelthebass can you see the car dropping a little on the back due to its weight?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
well when i went to the shop the other day to get new tires they turned off the air suspension and it made my car look like a low rider but with the air suspenion on its not bad at all

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
glad to hear you like them. Not too bad of a sub. HOpe you didn't pay store prices though cause then you got ripped. Not worth the price tag as there's too many subs out there that will beat it hands down in output and SQ at a lesser price. But get some pics up already!

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 305
wich subs beat them in sq?

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 76
w6,even alpine type-x-and both are the half price(didnt hear rexxx,adire,idmax and so on...) please dont kill me now, i should know that JL is the best,right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
heres sum pics of my install unfinished

99.2 K
backseat port.bmp
"Upload"

99.2 K
subs @ night.bmp
"Upload"

99.2 K
box2.bmp
"Upload"

99.2 K
amp.bmp
"Upload"

Silver Member
Username: Kwrubel21

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 163
i'd really like to see those..

Bronze Member
Username: Brenda84

Post Number: 11
i wouldn't say the type x beats the w7 in sq. the w7 would destroy the type x in sq, spl, or even sql. you can't compare the two subs. i should know cause i have a pair of type x and it doesn't impress me at all. now i heard a single 13w7 with a jl 1000/1 in a nissan 350z and that thing sounded amazing.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4498
the w6 and w6v2 would beat a w7 in sq, but a type X would not even stand a chance.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 618
2 W7s on a 2500d..
mmm, 1 word: LOUD
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_bass

Post Number: 36
i have the same setup, like i have all the parts, but right now one woofer's tinsel wires were fucked so its gettin repaired...i only got 1 13w7 installed with a 1200.1 on it for the time being

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
damn how do you post pics?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4511
click on Upload Image or Attachment

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Miriamrowland

Ft. drum, New york Us

Post Number: 27
i have two W7-10's on a JL 1000/1 and my wrx's trunk darn near blows of the hinges

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5482
BTW, that pic is of the upcoming W3v3, not the W7.

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
Adire Brahma, RE XXX, Stereo Integrity Mag, Oz Vector, and DD's will own the W7 if the same size. IDMAx is very close to the W7 and IMO sounds better but actual numbers were proven to be right there with the W7. If you only think that the W7 is the best then you don't know too much of the market. I've also been hearing good things about the Macrom sub(can't remember the model) and the Arcs too. W7 used to be good but too many companies out there that are smaller are easily comparable or better but not many know cause of the company's small profile. I tested a 12W7 against my 2nd Gen mag 12 and the Mag in a blind test was better than the W7 on SQ and beat the W7 by 1.3db on the mic which left everything the same. I'm not saying that the W7 is bad but please don't think its the god of all subs. Only the price makes it the seem so godlike. And don't even try to compare a Type X with a W7. SQ it may compare with but output is more like the W6 and not W7.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 628
alteraudiousa

why

not

register?

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 976
sound like ya got alot to say to not even be a member lol

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5230
Alteraudiousa, you claim "W7 used to be good but too many companies out there that are smaller are easily comparable or better."
Just how did you test them? What environment/equipment/settings? A well designed box can make or break a sub.
To be fair, did you build the boxes according to the manufacturer's EXACT spec?
I've tested quite a few subs over the years, and I find it hard to notice significant difference between high quality subs.

Bronze Member

Slovakia

Post Number: 77
well i was comparing type-x(12in) to w7 in sq and still think that alpine can standup to W7 in that region.It needs smaller sealed box(28litres against39lit needed forw7),it goes deeper(roughly 2hz in recommended enclosure-same qtc),have damn good quality build(very comparable to JL)and price is half of w7.I was going to buy JL,but i auditioned type-x and i was truly overwhelmed-it didnt matter if i was playing brutal hiphop,or acoustic concert(just little adjustments on crossover/level)the bass was tight and accurate-just didnot expect it from such a moderately priced sub.(for some reason couldnt get it from W7 even with 1000/1)Even that being said JL is really a nice piece of equipment,just didnt deliver for me..

Username: Koky

Post Number: 1
I own type x 12 and a can confirm that,this sub sounds wery well.

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
blind test using a JL 1000/1(power is the same no matter what ohm load, 5min. resting periods for both car and listener) using boxes that most closely are made to manufacturer specs. The subs we had on hand for the last test my friend did before he moved to somewhere in TX we had a W7, W6, Type R and X and S, SI Mag(mine) and SI Mag prototype(which is now the current model out), Adire Brahma, MTX 8000 series(i think thats it), Infinity Perfect, and a few others like RE SE and RF Punch 2(i think maybe whatever the high end one is Power 3?). All boxes were sealed and ranged from 1.5-1.75cu ft. I think all but the Brahma were 12s. Each sub was loaded into the car pointing the same direction and played the same stuff. First CD was Disc 4 from a complilation of stuff from Sounddomain member, I think it was GrandMasta's. Has good sweeps and bombing. Then we picked up CDs like perfect circle, 36Mafia, Sarah McLachlan, and Craig Armstrong, and one classical that used pipe organs. Tests were done in the most unbiased of testing we could do as each sub was blindly put in by someone who didn't partake in the test(gf's). Was quite interesting results. Also ED did a woofer test a while ago with the W7, IDMax, MTX, and some other store brand woofers out there and the numbers weere quite interesting.

The biggest differences we found in subs in the high echilons is more how well they handle low end frequency barrage, especially in songs like "Lullaby" by perfect circle, the pipe organs and brass section of a symphony, and all some of the Craig Armstrong stuff. Most subs did same in the 45-70hz range and not really noticeably different but get them in the 40hz or below and its a different story especially when having to play music and not just test tones.

Like i said the W7 is a good sub as its usually one of the higher rated subs but IMO just overpriced for the performance. Only good thing about that price is you usually get some type of "idiots" warranty on it.

Bronze Member

Slovakia

Post Number: 78
alteraudio-you didnt mention how did they compared to each other(just curious)... By 40hz, you meant they werent able to reproduce any notes,at or below that frequency?

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
were tested by about 5 guys who are pretty knowledgeable. It was a listening test and a mic test. Mic test gave some good numbers but i cant find them. Listening test was based on scales of 1-10 on how it performed on the music tracks and yes it may be biased per person based on their own musical taste but I'd say when 5 ppl
give each some similar ratings its hard to say its biased. Below 40hz, below this point will really determine a sub. For a very noticeable example, the Infinity Perfect and try to get it to play a track that is heavy on the 40hz or below. The sub will sound pretty bad on trying to get low especially if its a constant note or very fast moving notes where the subs needs to extend and then be pulled back at a very fast pace. On the "bombing" tracks where its a sweep from 80 or 100hz down to 10hz with fast short tones different subs reacted differently on their way down. Some got a little distorted while others kept up. The W7 was IIRC up there with the high end subs but towards the lower end of it. The proto Mag,Brahma, 2nd Gen Mag, and W7 were the best ones in that order, the Brahma and proto Mag were very close with the proto Mag having just a slightly better low end but you could say it was a tie for 1st and a tie for 2nd. The 2nd gen Mag and the W7 were very similar. The W7 has a slightly higher extension and makes it easy to blend well with the rest of the soundstage but the Mag had the more desirable 45-25hz sound. The db #'s i remember on these two and they were very close. in the enclosure we had off an older AC mic i believe the subs averaged 136-138db with the JL 1000/1. Sometimes one would have the higher number other times it was the other, they were within .7db of each other. When strapped to my Concept D1200, i was able to get 141.3db but it wasn't too safe on my sub as the gains were all the way up. i do remember though the proto Mag and Brahma having consistent 138-140s. While it may not be the best test, its in a car using a reputable amp and multiple ppl on the test. Sometimes i think these provide better results than a test done in a lab cause how many of you listen to sub in a lab?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5500
"W7 used to be good but too many companies out there that are smaller are easily comparable or better but not many know cause of the company's small profile."

Adire, for example, is not a small company. They OEM for far more companies than most people know of. JL doesn't. Of the drivers they produce, all are (or were before Adire's move) produced by buildhouses such as Destijl and Eminence, which are common. W7 is the only one custom tooled in Florida, with EVERY part of the sub fabricated by theirselves. That's where the added cost comes from. Not many people know of them? Name a forum where Adire/RE/SI ISN'T the forum b*ner.

Wasn't insanely impressed with the SI Mag, at least not in the class of subs.

"blind test using a JL 1000/1(power is the same no matter what ohm load, 5min. resting periods for both car and listener) using boxes that most closely are made to manufacturer specs."'

What credible box builder goes by manufacturer specs? They're hardly ever put there for SQ purposes, mostly only to ensure the less problems with warranty claims. Limiting the test to sealed boxes is pretty inconsistent as most of these subs are designed much differently.

"Listening test was based on scales of 1-10 on how it performed on the music tracks and yes it may be biased per person based on their own musical taste but I'd say when 5 ppl
give each some similar ratings its hard to say its biased."

I'd say the opposite. I've never seen 5 people agree on ANYTHING related to car audio. Similar ratings indicates that some of these subs were either poorly implemented or in total opposition to either the enclosure or vehicle used.

While it may not be the best test, its in a car using a reputable amp and multiple ppl on the test. Sometimes i think these provide better results than a test done in a lab cause how many of you listen to sub in a lab?

If you're comparing to say which is better, it needs to be in a controlled test environment with known acoustic properties. Period. We're testing performance, not how well the sub can do in an environment tailored to its characteristics. Cars are too inconsistent to base an entire opinion on a single example.

IMO, this comparison wasn't extensive enough to formulate a credible opinion off of. That stands for any of these subs, not just a W7.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us