How is this possible

Anonymous

why is it that a sub can take more power in a sealed enclosure than ported, i played my sub in a ported box with 800 watts rms and i powered it all the way and it didn't bottom out, and then i put it in a sealed box and it bottomed out way quicker had to turn the bass down, so wouldn't more power make it even easier to bottom out, i dont get it and when can someone explain it to me in ENGLISH not all technical

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1058
Physics 101.

Basically, sealed has more power handling because of lower (Vb). Don't ask me what Vb is, because I can't remember at the moment lol, but that's a fact.

Ported, well, think of it this way. When you add a port, you add a way for air to escape, so a ported enclosure at the same power input as a sealed will act differently.

The power handling on ported is lower because, as air escapes cone movement is less. You can't expect a sub to have the same amount of excursion in a ported box versus a sealed box and not have blown/damaged your sub.

...Oh screw it, I don't know how to explain it in text...It'd almost be easier to show you lol...

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1059
Here's what I can tell you...First, what is the sub you're using?

It may not be designed for both sealed AND ported...That could be why you're having the difficulty.

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 589
^^^^yep.....also the vb(internal box volume) in a ported box will be much more than a sealed in most cases.....

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1853
thats all true...to a point.

at and just above the tuning point...a sub can actually take more power (mechanically) in a VENTED enclosure than in SEALED enclosure.

right at your tuning frequency, the subs impedence is at its highest (this is called box rise). the sub will actually move the least at this frequency, most of the sound will actually be coming from the port. this is because a speaker coil is and inductive load. when you just "burp" your subs, you can pile the power on...they can take alot more than their rated RMS power. (for a short time...3-5sec.)

for example...you can wire a sub to 1ohm (DCR)and put it in a vented box. you would "expect" a 1000wrms amp to give the sub ~31.7VAC and ~31.7AAC (A x V = Watts). but as the frequency the speaker sees changes, so does the impedence of the coil (AC). right at or just above tuning freq...the impedence will be at max.

EX: i have my sub wire to 1ohm DCR and my SPL box is tuned to 46hz...i burp at 48hz. at 48hz my amp actually "sees" ~3.35ohms.

Anonymous

ok im just saying at 800 watts rms at volume 25 ina ported box it doesn't reach full excursion not even when i turn it all the way up which is 50, but in a sealed enclosure once i hit 24 its already bottoming out, whats teh deal, and i think my sub is meant for a sealed enclosure. the number that glass said kinda helps to let you know what enclosure your sub is meant for said it was good for sealed here's the link to my 2 subs. i have the vibe 1800d, thats what im powering them with.

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?MODEL=HRWDC12

Anonymous

ok im just saying at 1000 watts rms at volume 25 ina ported box it doesn't reach full excursion not even when i turn it all the way up which is 50, but in a sealed enclosure once i hit 24 its already bottoming out, whats teh deal, and i think my sub is meant for a sealed enclosure. the number that glass said kinda helps to let you know what enclosure your sub is meant for said it was good for sealed here's the link to my 2 subs. i have the vibe 1800d, thats what im powering them with.

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?MODEL=HRWDC12

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 157
in a sealed box- when your cone moves it creates a pressure differential but doesn't have anywhere to draw or push air so that vacuum will help hold the cone back
in a ported box- there isn't that extra resistance

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4304
my belief is that neither is superior in power handling its all how its set up ...to put it simply

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2009
all things being equal, the smaller the sealed box, the greater the power requirements to get it moving.
a vented enclosure essentially has two areas where the air escapes (the port and the cone). therefore it requires less power to get an identical output. i.e., more efficient.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us