Which speakers should I get?

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of shopping for a system for my car. I listen to mostly rock and stuff, so I don't want earth-shattering bass, just a nice clear sound. I've looked through the forums, and I seem to just be getting more and more confused, there's so many!! :-(

I'd like 2 speakers in the front, 2 in the rear (in what size configuration I don't know) and eventually I'll buy an amp and a sub, but not straight away, initially I'll run them off the head unit.

My budget is around $200 AUD for the fronts and rears, so $400 all up for speakers I spose. I've looked at alpine, pioneer, fusion, and sony and I know there's plenty more out there but I haven't had a chance to see them in the flesh. Any suggestions/hints/comments/clarifications would be greatly appreciated!!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 998
Probably Infinity Kappa Perfects.

For something more durable, with good SQ still, Cerwin Vega V-Mag Unified components.

You'll need to tell us sizes and such though before we continue this.

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
where you from, for those prices, i would get CDT which is better than any mentioned or if you can find them at the right time Dynaudio or Rainbow. I'd spend much more money on the fronts, like 300$ and 100 on the rears. What car?

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
It's a '98 Nissan Pulsar hatch, I was kind of thinking about 6's for the front and 6x9's for the rear, but I've read that some people don't like the 6x9's, so I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for the help so far!

Anonymous

why don't u both register !?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1881
get some dynaudio system 240 gt.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4358
^^Lol, i knew u where gonna say that, what about JL Audio XR650-Csi.lol

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1883
they sound good too but if you want something that will really sound good, get the dynaudio component sets. lol.

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
Most of those look a bit out of my price range, I'm shopping in Australia so I think we get pretty pounded price-wise on speakers. That said, I'm looking to buy off ebay, so hopefully can make up some ground there. Some of the infinity stuff looks like it might be ok $$-wise though, are the Reference Series 6000cs any good?

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
Or JL Audio VR650-CSI 6.5 components (if the price difference is like $100)?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1885
i would rather go with the infinity reference series over the vr650.

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
Ok, thanks, I think I will. Also, do people think I should put 6's or 6x9's in the back?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1890
i got 6x9s in the back and i like it alot. if you can fit 6x9s back there i would just go with that.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5458
The References would be better than the TRs, but I like the VRs better than the References.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4899
i own 2 pairs of Inf Ref 6.5" & like em alot - plays loud/clean , u could even run em with just ur HU alone & they still play fairly decent . Of course amping them is the better thing to do ..........

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
i think there is a CDT dealer in Aus. I would look into those. They are much better than the Infinitys. Infinitys aren't that great at all. more hype than anything. You probably haven't listened to too much else if you think infinity is that great. And yes the VRs are better than the reference and the kappas and more on par or slightly better than the Perfects. Infinity just sucks. If you want some store brands get the Boston's and call it a day. But i'd go with CDT first.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 591
what kind of amp are you going to be using?

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
I haven't even thought about an amp yet, initially I want to just run the 4 speakers off the head unit and give my bank account a bit of time to recover before I go for the amp and the sub.

Johnnie
Unregistered guest
With the JL Audio speakers, the low end is the TR, then VR, XR, ZR, is this correct? I found a pair of XR-650-CSi's on the net for $199 AUD, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. Is buying before listening silly?

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
i used to buy before listening all the time and still do with subs. Its better to listen first so you know what you're buying but with reputable companies like JL you usually don't go wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us