The work im doing on my friends benzo

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1604
hey guys, ive been working on a fiberglass enclosure on my friends benzo. its coming along nicely. ive only got the first layer of resin on so far so its not smooth and painted and all pretty yet lol. its got a lot of work to be done still but if these pics upload then you can see.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1605
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

btw, its a clk 320 drop top. pictures dont give this trunk justice to how small it is....

and also, a treo 10 inch tsx is going in it. sx500.2 amp for sub. sx400.2 for a XR comp set. and a kenwood double din flipscreen for the HU. im going to make hima custom fiberglass dash and we talked with some1 at the dealership who will cover it in wood grain.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 513
damn, get some final pics of install.
looks good so far. I love those clks. my boi has 1 too.
that should have some good sq!

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1870
damn that looks nice. you really know what your doing there trevor.

Bronze Member
Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 13
agreed that looks great. I'm keen to give a fiberglass enclosure a go some time. My question is how do you set the cloth to shape with the all the concave sections? Is it purely just the matter of having one large portion of cloth and stretching it to the the shape you want then stapling it? followed by painting on the resin?

Also how mant layers do you considered strong enough?

When i've done moulded sub boxes i've just done multiple rings and shaped expandable foam around it to the desired shape and then covered it as i've never had experience with fiberglass. However doing 20+ rings of 3/4 MDF is such a waste

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 776
I know someone that had a 230.

Arent the cabs and the trunk separated on those things? I guess my main concern is that you will be able to get any sound in the cab.

Personally I am not a fan of fiberglass enclosures for subs. It just resonantes too much. Fiberglass is not dense enough. Besides when that sub will be pounding, that fiberglass will take a beating, especially if it is sealed.

It looks very kool. I just hope it will be effective.

Peace

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 836
". Besides when that sub will be pounding, that fiberglass will take a beating, especially if it is sealed. " i dont think fibreglass would get "beat up" from a subwoofer especially with 7 + layers ..it should be fine

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 496
nice. how many layers are you going to use?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 838
i gotta ask waht u used for the material you stretched around the ring and such.. it looks like a garbage bag lol

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1609
okay, for the fabric. it is swim/dance fabric. its like under armor 9.99 a yard. much better to work with shapes like that than fleece.

blair- the fabric i used was so stretchy it forms really well. fleece was impossible to get out all wrinkles. this stuff worked great!

so no, not a garbage bag lol. i bewt that could work though! i asked for pantty ho material first lol. they gave me this instead. im happy.

im not going to apply x amount of layers. im going to keep applying until its harder then i want it to be lol. its a very messy job but in the end, maybe it will be worth it, screw that it will be worth it! lol

oh and sealed will be a last resort. i want to port it, if i cant fit the port ( it will be an exterior port you cannot see) then i will have it sealed...

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 841
finding the interior volume of that will be fun lol

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 777
Finding the interior of that should be relatively easy;

Take a heavy duty garbage bag (contractor type) and put a little bit of water in it (1quart or so). Then stick the garbage bag inside the box.

Now fill the bag with water. The bag will mold to the outer walls. When it is all filled up. Take a few 5 gallon buckets and start to empty out the water into the buckets. Have a few empty 1 gallon milk jugs handy for the last few.

The water will mold the trash bag fairly tight even with those funky braces.

1 gallon = 3.76 liters
28 liters = 1 cubic foot.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1613
thanks mixneffect that will come in handy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us