Kind of a newb question but 17V system???

Bronze Member
Username: Titanbk

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 51
How do you run a 17 volt system? I hear people talking about it and have no idea what it means. Wouldn't that mess with the sensors in your vehicle considering its designed to run on a 12v system?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 319
you'd have to have a seperate alternator and battery (or batteries) to provide a 17v source.

It would take a lot of know-how, a lot of time, and a lot of money. It's something reserved for the hard core competitors.

In the real world, if you want more power, buy a larger amp.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 53
That means that I would just have to run more than 1 alternator? correct?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 324
yep - with some sort of voltage regulator to get 17v from it. Then of course you'd have to modify the belt drive system some how to spin the 2nd alt. On top of that you'd need a battery or a combination of batteries that are capable of maintaining a ~17v charge.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 54
fabricating a bracket would be no problem, just remove my a/c compressor and mount it up there and get a different belt. What kind of batteries are recomended? I have a 200 amp alternator now. I tested it under a full load at about 1800 rpm and it put out 174 amps. I have a optima yellow top closer to my amp and an optima red top in the engine compartment and my voltage still drops to 11 on hard bass hits. I also have a 5 farad garbage rack mount audiobahn capacitor. What a waste of money. Could the red top be causeing my voltage to drop down so far?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 331
I would think an alternator that size should keep up ok with 2 batteries.

What amp(s) are you running and at what impedance?

Are your wires from alt to battery (+) and battery (-) to chassis upgraded? Good clean connections?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1024
I want to know what amps too, most wont handle mopre then 15 to them...

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 56
I am running a Visonik V900HC. Please no put downs I'm up and coming. also a JBL not sure what model but I think it's rated at like 600-800 watts for my highs. Yes my big 3 are upgraded to 4 gauge cable. I ran it at 1 ohm bridged during competition but 2 ohm stereo for everyday use. The Specs on the visonik amp are 2x750@40hm stereo
2x1000@2ohm stereo
1x1500@1ohm stereo
1x2000@.5ohm stereo
1x3200@1ohm bridged

Any ideas guys?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1026
I would be surprised if that amp can handle 17volts to it

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 57
well I have gotten rid of that amp in the past month and am looking into either a kicker 2500.1,1200.1, or an RE 12.1. I want to run possibly 2 15" RE SX's. But would like to get the voltage problem fixed first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1028
if you really want to run 17 volts, you better call the manufactures to make sure they can handle 17volts..

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5197
You don't need 2 alternators. What you can do is get a regulator that drops the voltage to 13.5v for charging the battery and run the amp off of the 17v alternator.
Don't try it unless you are comfortable with cars and electronics.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 337
not a bad amp at all...
http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Visonik_V900HC/index.html

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 58
well on the list of good, bad, and whatever else it was visonik was considered bad. Is this the case? Or should I get another?I can get the 4000 watt visonik amp for $700 brand new should I go this route? Or should I go with acouple kickers or re's? I am going to push 2 RE SX 15's.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 338
I think it's sad that the "list" is taken so literally on this forum. Profile's on the bad list and if you search on about any other forum Profile is almost unanimously considered the best budget brand available.

Search for Visonik at termpro.com in the amp forum. Their sub amps get a lot of respect and of the few test sheets I've seen they all do rated power. I have no idea how a person could come to the conclusion of "bad" from that.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5207
The list was created to help people spend their money wisely.
It was meant as a guide.
They were tested by lot of people in the car industry, and those with a very high failure rate were grouped into the "bad" category, and the rest into their appropriate headings.
There are always some exceptions, as well as changes due to manufacturer's improvements.
The list may not be 100% accurate, but it does provide good starting point for newbies.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1061
"You don't need 2 alternators. What you can do is get a regulator that drops the voltage to 13.5v for charging the battery and run the amp off of the 17v alternator. "

Isaac, the way that reads, it sounds like two alts. are being used...It sounds like you have a regulator, that tells one alt to run at 13.5V and another alt. to run at 17V. I think I know what you mean, but the way it reads, someone may take it the wrong way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1031
It does not matter how many alt or anything else, if an amp can not handle the volts....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us