Why would the Infinity Reference sound better than the Perfects?

Username: Kc5deb

Post Number: 1
I have been considering getting the 6.5" coaxal 2-way speakers. After a trip to a sound store that sells Infinity products, I discovered something odd. They had the 6.5" coaxal 2-way, the Perfect 6.5" component set, and the Reference 6.5" component set, all setup to a switch running off one head unit and powered by the same amp.

After switching between the 3, I have decided against the coaxal 2-way set; too tinny, and little if any mid-bass.

BUT, the Perfects disappointed me. They did sound mellow, and filled up the area with sound a little better, but, they just sounded like they were "missing" something. I then switched to the Reference components, and heard what I was missing. They sounded way better than the perfects, even at higher volume.

What am I not considering, because I really expect the Perfects to have better sound quality than the Reference?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 859
well the perfects are really the only infinity components that I don't find terribly dissapointing, but the bottom line is that you need to go with your ears. Sound is subjective, and if you go with what other people say is better, you'll only regret it later. You gave them a fair listening test and liked the ref's better, I think that speaks volumes.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 831
what scuba steve said, its all up to what you like best.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2829
I love the infinity referance line. I always have. I recently ordered the 6.5 set from cardomain.com and ill have them installed in a future car. Highly recommended if your running them off your headunit or amp.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5418
Perfects can tend to be kind of harsh in the upper midrange and treble region. Reference tends to be a little smoother overall, though not nearly as detailed. Perfects lack midbass, too.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1018
If they did not have the kappas or perfects on an amp, then you were kind of short changed when listening.

Username: Kc5deb

Post Number: 2
The kappas and perfects were being run from the same amp as the reference series were.

Seriously considering reference for the front.

Bronze Member
Username: Blakktalon

Post Number: 45
the same wattage was applied to both? The perfects need more power to produce sound than the reference's do. I found just the opposite, but I tested mine at different wattages, and set the gains for each test. References are good, but imo, the perfects are waaaay better.

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
if its in a wall that there's alot that could be effecting the SQ of the speakers. Power plays a big part and so does imaging. If the Refs were closer to you and the Perfects higher up on the wall it does effect how you hear it. I've never liked Infinity because they were never as good as ppl think. The tweets are quite harsh and the mids lack depth to them. I've used the Perfects before, components and subs, and when replaced with even the CDT CL series i thought the Infinitys sounded like a Walmart brand. Depending on how much you're going to spend i'd look somewhere else.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 865
I had Perfects some time back, and was disappointed even with appropriate power. I now have cheaper Polk MOMO's and they sound a h3ll of a lot better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us