Silk or aluminum dome?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 465
I have a choise between DIAMOND AUDIO S600A or S600S. "A" is for aluminum and "s" is for silk but I dont know which will sound better. What do you guys recommend?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1979
generally, the metal will sound more harsh and "tick tick"y (which some people like).
silk sounds more like its namesake.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 468
Yeah aluminum tweets sounds kinda funny to me. I guess its a dumb question cause silk is a sure thing. Are those good components? I chose them because they can handle like 140 watts rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1981
well, looks like you lucked up b/c that's not a very wise way to select comps :-).
i like diamonds though. in the price range, they are among the few that i am familiar.
very clear sound, imo.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 474
lucky for me i lucked up. usually when i do that it starts with an f. thanks for your help. i think i'll go with these comps.

Bronze Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 78
"the metal will sound more harsh and "tick tick"y"

its "tss tss", dumbass. they dont sound like a tick tock clock.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1985
look you little no knowedge dck for brains. either contribute something positive or tell your mother that she should have spit you out instead. really. now beat it before i take it back 10 years, trace your ip and take away what's most valuable to you and make your mom watch. i'm really not playing with you.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 485
lol.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 858
well said, who is this douche?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 765
IMHO quality metal tweeters are better than soft domes because silk isnt as efficient and it does not go above 10KHz.

Sure there may be arguements that there are soft domes that go above 10 KHz and are very efficient, but for the most part most of them do not.

I actually preffer soft domes over the metal domes because metal brigs out all the garbage that most crappy recordings promote. If you listen to "only" perfect recordings, then I recommend the metal tweeter. Most recordings suck, so therefore I chose the soft domes by default.

Also, take in consideration the equipment and the listening area as well. If they are anything less than perfect, the metal tweeter will start to bother you after the first 10 seconds.

Just my .02

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 949
"now beat it before i take it back 10 years, trace your ip and take away what's most valuable to you and make your mom watch. i'm really not playing with you."

Mike, um, why would you want his IP address from 10 years ago? Especially considering that most ISP's were dial-up with varying IP's. And MAN, don't bring his Mom into it, it's not HER fault necessarily that he's a moron. And spit him out? I don't get that one, but still, he was a bit harsh too, I dunno, this forum get's a BIT touchy at times...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5413
I agree with Mixneffect. Due to the dome breakup of a metal dome tweet, all have a resonant peak around 25khz, if not then it's almost always between 20-30k. Even though CDs have a brick wall filter right past 20k, harmonics can still excite this and the breakup can affect audible range, which can contribute to the "metallic" sound.

The way to combat this is a good tweeter design. This is easier to achieve with large format home audio tweeters, but much more difficult with your average neo motor compact dome. The SEAS Lotus Reference, JL ZR, and Boston VR-1 (from the Z series) tweeters are examples of good car audio metal domes that aren't too harsh.

"I actually preffer soft domes over the metal domes because metal brigs out all the garbage that most crappy recordings promote"

Couldn't be any more true. Same goes for highly detailed midrange drivers, the higher end you get, the more flaws come out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Hey mike, i was just trying to correct you.

And who still talks about other people's mom?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 844
way to be a dick when you were trying. you got owned

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
actually, it was stupid what he said. read it.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 487
Thanks for the input guys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2004
"well said, who is this douche?" "this forum get's a BIT touchy at times..."

yeah. hate to get negative, but dealing with racists' negative remarks (and racial epithets on various other threads) is couter productive. i don't visit here for that. and then to drag it on... anyway, it wasn't my intention to make others subjected to it too. just a bit fed up.
granted, my onomatopoeia could have been a bit more elaborate.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 778
Mike,

How do you pronounce "onomatopoeia"?

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1048
Funny...

Gold Member