Alpine Type R 12 / Sealed or Ported ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2822
Which yields better results ? Overall just looking for whatever is recommended for this particular subwoofer. Im thinking about going with 2 of these in my suv. Let me know

The new 3rd generation type r's that are 500 watts a piece is what im talking about.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4731
well i only recently installed my pair ported 7 it hits hard

see my thread >>>
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/189456.html

but Chad Lee should be answering this ? cause he did both box types ..........

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2823
Interesting, Nice install Rovin. Im using a premier 860 for the HU and might get a kx1200.1 since my friend knows the manager at the circuit city up here and run 2 Type R 12's off of it. I may sell my 2 JL 12w6v2's and go with somthing differant. Somthing with more SQL then SQ if you know what i mean. Right now i have great SQ but not enough SQL. How do you think the TYPE R's will do in my situation coming from the 12w6v2's ?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 821
used both types on the r's.. ported tuned to 35hz( 2.16 net ft per chamber) was was so much louder than the sealed box(.84 per chamber).. unfair comparaison My mustang hatchback sealed to my buddys explorer ported.. but still was a huge difference since the stuff is his now didnt really get a good chance for the sq side of it but it sounded pretty good with the few songs we put on.
btw what boxes do u have the jls in?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2824
Sealed prowedge box that they came in

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2825
Just not sure if i want to go sealed or ported for the Type R's if i decide to use the kicker kx 1200.1 on them or i could go with the preloaded 2 type S slot ported setup that my dealer has for $340 and power them off a kx600.1

Budget for the subs and box is $500

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4734
hey MO if u wanna try someting really different why not try some Diamond audio D3 or D6 subs - well priced on www.onlinecarstereo.com & they still have free s/h . Never used them b4 but read alot of good things about them .

If i remember correctly chad said he preferred the sealed over ported in his ride ...now he has type X & said the same ....

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 824
why dont you try a ported box for your w6's first MO and then go from there.. all you have to loose is a weekend and about 40 bucks for material.. there nice subs and that would increase the spl a fair bit. im guessing thats what your wanting more of.. the w6's are a very nice woofer.. dont get the type s, that would definately be a step down

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2826
Yeah i was thinking of that also mark. Thanks for the input. Best to save money and do what you just said. I guess i was getting bored of them even they they are my favorite subs. Ive had w6's since 2002 / both the dual 10w6v2 prowedge setup and the 12w6v2 versian now. Ill end up sticking to this more then likely and maybe go ported somtime in the future. Ill let you all know how it works out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us