I have no crossover

Username: Hockeytj04

Post Number: 5
Alright, my moms car got totaled and i had the chance to rip out her system. I couldnt find where the retard car toys installers put the crossovers for her MB Quart DSE-216's, so i got the mid and tweet, but no x-over. I'm wondering what i should do about it because i want to hook up the tweeters, right now i got the mids in on 125hz HPF. I've looked for a replacement xover everywhere. does anybody have any suggestions?
Oh yeah, I'm running about 50 watt rms to both components, 80 max

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
to really get the total potential from a speaker either run a passive that is made for the speaker or run active and take time to get it setup right. You could use just about any crossover but those that are setup to match the speaker are best.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 740
You should probably call up MBQuart and talk to them about a replacement.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 304
I will probably get strung up for suggesting these, but a crossover is just a couple coils and caps so as long as the slope is the same and the x/o point is comparable you don't need anything fancy...

these should work just fine -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pyramid-Cr22-200-Watt-2-way-Passive-Crossover_W0QQitemZ58137 41827QQcategoryZ79840QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can't stomach the thought of using those - there's a pretty steady supply of other brands on ebay if you just watch for a while.

These are nice, but the specs aren't very clear -
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-PASSIVE-RC-420-CROSSOVER_W0QQitemZ585300314 5QQcategoryZ79840QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these could be the ticket -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boston-Acoustics-Pro-5-4X-Passive-Crossovers-Mint-Used_W0QQi temZ5851086496QQcategoryZ79840QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1978
"I will probably get strung up for suggesting these, but a crossover is just a couple coils and caps so as long as the slope is the same and the x/o point is comparable you don't need anything fancy..."

not the string up type. but i think that the x-over shouldn't be any cheaper than the driver.
it should also (obviously) take the characteristics of the driver into consideration (yes, a considerate xo;)). the size/inductance of the capacitor can have a profound impact on the staging of the driver. similarly, different resistors can influence the brightness of highs.
this is clearly just for argument's sake as i'm sure his mom won't likely note the difference (at least mine probably wouldn't). but the fact that she's riding with quarts does say something positive in itself.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4106
Could always try making your own. It's not quite as hard as you'd think it is.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1108
Well, if you do what Opti said, at least go with the BA ones. Better quality than Pyramid.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 351
there's really not much variance in a passive crossover. I don't care if it's a mcintosh or a pyle.

They're inductors and capacitors, the exact same stuff you can get for spare change at radio shack. You can get the 5% parts or the 0.5% parts - that's not going to make enough difference to be audible - especially in a car.

However, as cheap as you can find component crossovers on ebay there's no reason not to buy a decent brand.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us