Fiberglass strength

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 263
i posted something not that long ago about fiberglass being as strong as mdf and the response that i got was that it wasnt and that it would have to be even thicker than the wood to almost have as much strength then how can a box like this hold 3 jl subs???

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Licid

Ohio USA

Post Number: 11
Are you sure that is just fiberglass? And not just fiberglass coated over an enclosure to give it a nice finish.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1968
not certain where you got that misinformation from, but fiberglass is extremely rigid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
so it will be strong enough... i got that information from people on here i had a post a little while back and forgot about it so i looked it up but it was in the archives so i couldnt add to it, i know that fiberglass isnt that strong on flat surfaces but i was told that it is strong when it has curves to it, so would fleece with polyester resin to make it hard, and body filler be enough? or should i add a layer or 2 of fiberglass mat before the body filler? o yea this is for two type R's

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
and licid that is just fiberglass, i have the movie that shows the steps taken to make it and there is nothing else but fleece, polyester resin, body filler, primer and the paint

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1974
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikechec9

there are some pretty good links bookmarked here

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5407
Fiberglass is far stronger than MDF. Keep in mind it would take a lot of dedication to get fiberglass 3/4" thick. But for the size, fiberglass is considerably stronger.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 282
it's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of elasticity. Unless it's crazy thick fiberglass flexes a lot. If you have a panel that's fairly flat with a lot of surface area you'll have to brace it or it will flex and produce all kinds of unwanted noise and vibration. Taking the time to get it plenty thick helps a lot to. At 1/4" it will be pretty rigid, but it will take some time too.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1059
yea jonathan is right. when fiberglass is jsut a flat sheet mdf is stronger but with the curves that most fiberglass boxes have it makes them extremely strong and stronger than mdf. If you're making a box out of fiber glass and some parts will be flat jsut use a piece of mdf and then coat it with some fiberglass to obtain the sleek finish that they have.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
yea that is exactly what i am doing wahl, i am actually making the top, bottom, back, and sides out of mdf the only part that i am actually doing fiberglass is the side that the subs will mount to, so that i can give it some shape and give them the effect that the subs are coming out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us