Help a girl out

Username: Krazyj

Ky

Post Number: 1
Im in need of advise on choosing speakers for my car. I can get good deals on infinity,eclipse,alpine,and JL. sizes i need are 4x6 and 6x9. Other ?s i have. I was told that i need to amp my speakers and that a 4x6 plate is better than a coaxial. is there any truth to this.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1563
"that a 4x6 plate is better than a coaxial"

i dont know what you mean by that. whats your budget. id get either infinity kappa perfect components or JL XR components.

what kind of car? im guessing the 4x6 is fornt and 6x9 rear? 4x6 is kind of a pain. you want atleast a 5.25 inch mid.... for the xr comps you can send them up to 150w rms at 4 ohms and the infinities 100w rms at 4 ohms. if you get the JLs i reccomend a 300/2

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 823
a plate speaker from what i get is just a component speaker thats mounted on a plate already. am i right?? or is there more to it?? heres an example from Boston Acoustics.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=21& product_id=91

i'd try and modify the panels where, like Trevor said, at least a 5.25 inch speaker will fit.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 847
4x6 and 6x9...thats unfortunate, you'll mostly find crappy coaxial speakers in these sizes. As for your question about coaxial vs. "plate" speakers, people say that because most commercially available coaxial speakers are poorly made and have inadequate crossover networks. Coaxial designs actually have their uses, but you don't see them in nice systems because companies that make nice speakers usually don't make coaxial speakers.

Ky

Post Number: 2
Ok i can fit a 6.5 component set in the 6x9 spot....would this be better? if so what brand from what i mentioned should i go with?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5168
From my testing, 6.5" is better than 6x9" when it comes to SQ at high volume.
Depending on your budget, you can go with Infinity Kappa Perfect (around $190) or the other brands.

Ky

Post Number: 3
so im going to go with a 6.5 component set in the rear.
up front i have to figure out what to do with a 4x6 spot???
how much better is the kappa series than the reference?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2815
If your gonna go with the kappa series. Make sure you buy a amplifier for them to get the most out of them. If you wanna go with the referance then i whould definetly suggest that if your using your head units power only.

Go with the infinity referance 6.5's / I just got a set from www.cardomain.com and they can match any authorized infinity dealers price online. I got mine for $65.00 plus shipping thru them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5171
Jo, you can get 4" component set that will fit 4x6" slot.
Even though it's smaller in size, it's power rating is much higher (around 90w rms).
You can also make 5" fit quite easily in 4x6 slot too.

Ky

Post Number: 4
Head unit:Eclipse 5425
Front:I need help
Rear:InfinityKAPPA 60.7CS 6.5" 2Way Component System
Subwoofers:I need help

Im keeping my head unit.In the front i have 4x6 spaces.You guys say i need to modify and put in a different size(what size would be best).I need an amp for my rear component set.Subwoofers i want a n spl sq mix. Im thinking 1 15" but not sure wich one.

Ky

Post Number: 5
where can i get a 4" component set to go well with my rear

Gold Member

Post Number: 5173
Try the eBay, I got mine from there. They were 4" components, rated 90w rms. It gave very clear vocals without much distortion.
It probably will cost more than 5" due to it's small size. To make 4x6" slot fit 5", it doesn't require much, just a slight cut. Just about any installer will be able to do it (assuming they're prof).
SPL & SQ subs will cost you.
ID Max 12" or JL 12W7 are couple of excellent SPL and SQ subs. They range from $280 - $500.
Unless you own a van, 15" in a ported box might be too big to fit.
Audiobahn A8002T is around $140 or less and will do a fairly good job for powering the components. If you want 4 channel amp for front and rear, I think the model is 4001T.
For sub amp, MTX/JBL/Orion/PPI all make reasonably priced amps that cost around $300 or less.
If you want to match the amps, Audiobahn A8000T will work fine. It also costs around $140.

Ky

Post Number: 6
i want to chose between
3 10" subs infinity kappa perfect?
2 12" eclipse ti
2 12" 2006 kicker comps
1 15" the kicker or eclipse

or any suggestions of somthin better in performance but around the same price

Gold Member

Post Number: 5176
Are you looking to blow some car alarms or just get great SQ?
JL 10W7 in HO box gives excellent SQL and window shaking bass. You can test drive it against 3 10" subs and see which one sounds better.
You'll be surprised with the result. Even though it's only 1 10" sub, it'll get so loud, your ear drums will almost ache from pressure.
If that's still not enough power, you can upgrade to 12W7 in HO box.
If you want SQ, more is not always better.

Ky

Post Number: 7
i wnat an sq setup but i dont want distortion if i crank it up

alteraudiousa
Unregistered guest
lol...some of you guys make some funny posts. But i would make some 4x6 baffles from the outlines of the old speaker plate. Get a 4in component setup. From the sounds of your speaker sizes, i want to guess you have a GM car. There are some kick panels that you can use to give a little more sound to the front. If you don't choose to get the kicks i'd get a good set of 6x9s for the rear. I am a dealer for CDT and highly suggest the CL-69x. Its a component version of the 6x9. Very nice sounding with little distortion. As for the subs, get one Stereo Integrity Mag 12 and it will dominate just about anything in its class, and yes including a JL 12W7. Awesome SQ that matches the Adire Brahma and IDMAX with output closer to the XXX and 13W7. Email me at sales@alteraudiousa.com if interested in any speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 473
Get the 2 12" eclipse Ti's. I've had kicker L7's and they dont sound very good. Plus the damn tinsel leads keep falling off.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 277
Which pair of speakers would you choose? I want SQL from a decent pair.
Choices:

1) Infinity Kappa 63.7i http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-INFINITY-KAPPA-63-7i-6-1-2-3-WAY-SPEAKERS-Pair_W0QQitem Z5853409309QQcategoryZ58025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) JL Audio TR650-CXI http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4115

3) Alpine SPR-17LP http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2830

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 280
oops didnt mean to double post, the server is all screwed up!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us