Weird Noise

Bronze Member
Username: Bies08

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 15
When i turn my cd player over like 25 only one my subs will make a popping sound...then the other day..the other one started to make it...idk waht it is, i still ahve a yr warranty on them, so i figured i could take them back...either that or its the box mayb???I have them in a slanted box so idk...

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4121
are they wired correctly??

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 16
ya.....it dont do it until its over like 25 on my cd player...idk why....they work fine when its at 24 or so..but then once u get up past 25 they make that sound..

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 17
ya.....it dont do it until its over like 25 on my cd player...idk why....they work fine when its at 24 or so..but then once u get up past 25 they make that sound..

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 18
Can any1 help me!?!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4530
sounds to me like you have been clipping the amp and slowly blowing the subs.

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 19
ive been clipping on the amp???

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 20
What's clipping the amp mean?

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1528
kinda like overdriving the amp forcing it to produce a distorted signal. Basically not good, both the amp and sub(s) are in danger.

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 21
I dont think that its clipping it, idk..i think i blew one of the subs, cuz only one of them do it. Not both. My subs are 300 RMS..and i have a Alpine MRD-M605...it puts out 400 Watts RMS...then its got a Max of 900 Watts..so i don't thing it's trying to put out more watts...If i blew one of the subs, would it make a popping sound???

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4222
well its strange that you say only one subwoofer does it because i thought you were reaching excursion limits but if that was the case both subs would do it....but if your box has a leak then only one would do it and not the other

Gold Member

Post Number: 4223
assuming you have seperate chambers

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 24
i was messin around with it today, and i unplugged one sub, and it started to make the popping sound real quiet at 31....then the other sub did the same thing exept at about 30....so they both do it...its just that its not as loud when their separate...One of my friends listened to it and he thought it was the voice coils....but im not sure if he knows what he's talkin about....a different friend(who knows quite a bit about car audio)...he says that he thinks theres too many watts gion to each sub, i find that hard to believe tho...when u say 'assuming you have seperate chambers....theres a piece of wood inbetween..so ya..what do u mean when u say 'i thought you were reaching excursion limits?....they dont make that sound when its at like 25 or so...so idk what to do...I had them in a diff. box when i first got them..(one i made)...and they sounded great..but i wanted to put them in my backseat, so i got a slanted box, and it's been making that sound for awhile..like 2 weeks after i got that box

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 761
First of all, lets back up, all the way up.

What do you have?

Which name brand?
Which model?
Which year (if applicable)?
What configuration (if applicable)?
Who installed your system?

Answer the questions for each of your components.

Head Unit =
Amp('s) =
Crossovers/Sound Processors =
Wiring Kits =
Distribution Blocks =
Subs =
Box type (sealed/ported) =

Then answer the following questions;

Is your amp('s) gain setting set right?

Who says you have to go above 25 on your HU?

Why do you keep on going above a certain volume number if it is malfunctioning?

When you give us this info, we would be able to help you. It may be something small, or it may be that you have mismatched equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4226
answer mixneffect I think when you do well find out whats going on.....and save your subwoofers from becoming damaged ....until then dont make them make that pop sound

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 25
ok...first off...
my brand- Total Mobile Audio(its a new brand, one of the guys who worked or made up JL made these subs, they sound EXACTLY like JL's)...

Model- T12S4...

Year-I got them like 2 or 3 months ago..so their 2005....
Who installed them-My friend(who has put in 5 or 6 systems put it in for me)

Head Unit- Kenwood something...i'll post later on today
Amp- Alpine MRD-M605
Wiring kits- same as amp kits???umm..its a Total Mobile Audio amp kit
Subs-2 12's Total Mobile Audio
Box- Sealed, bought from a store(HB stereo)..

Amp's Gain- its set at 4 I think, idk..i'll look on it when i post my head unit model

I said that when it goes over 25 it makes the sound......

i go over sometimes, because it depends on the bass note...

About the Distribution blocks and the Crossovers...im pretty sure i dont ahve any of them..so ya..idk

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 408
I would check the amplifier.
Or the HU, or the RCA wiring.

Subs need power to go POP....
either bad amp or wiring or HU

so check the above first.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 409
hold on 1 sub is poping or both?
r u sure?

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 27
no..its both....
i was screwin aroudn with it the other day, and i found out both of them do it..but why would me RCA make it only pop when it gets so loud??...i also just got hte amp for christmas..so it shouldnt screw up already...and how would my head unit have to do with the subs making a pretty loud pop sound?

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 419
faulty circuitry in HU or the AMP
or BAD RCAs

I thought it would be both subs. So that excludes the subs as the problem!
If a bad rca signal is present the amp will amplifiy it! U can hold/touch/tap the RCA tips without the HU, the amp will amplify it if it is on.

I will check the HU and the RCAs. B4 looking at the amp yet.

Why @ vol 25 every single time? It makes me think your HU.
Bad cables should make it pop at any volume.

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 28
OOO..my HU is a Kenwood KDC-MP425....idk...my sister bought it last year...around August....then i got the car so it stayed in there..im not following you on the 'you can hold/touch/tap the RCA tips without hte HU, the amp will amplify if it is on????If it was my head unit, would i have to get a new one???or what???

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 29
????

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 763
Your subs handle up to 200 watts RMS.

Your amp pushes out up to 400 watts RMS at 2 ohms (which is what your load is if you wired them in parallel).

Your box is sealed. It should be completely sealed, not just the fact that it does not have a port. Make sure that the inner walls are caulked air tight. Check the binding post and make sure that it is air tight as well. Last but not least your woofers must be air tight as well. This will eliminate the possibility of enclosure noise.

Your amp's gain is set at 4, hmmm. 4 out of what?

Your subs make a popping sound during heavy congested bass when your HU volume is at 25 or higher right? What is your HU's volume # max? 25 out of what?

I asked these questions to see where there might be a problem. It seems that the amp/subs are matched up ok.

I think it may be a tinsel lead slap or your subs are bottoming out because they are over driven.

Usually when you go over 75% of the volume on your HU, you tend to start to clip, distort, and over-drive your speakers.

I recommend that you hook up your subs to another system that is 100% legit (no electronic problems) and see if your subs still pop at high volumes under acceptable power.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 764
When the gain on the amp is initially set, you should keep in mind the other contingent settings as well.

For example;

Identify what level your HU volume, bass, crossover frequencies, and bass boost levels are at when the gain is set, and do not go over these levels.

As a matter of fact I would recommend that you do not get within 5% of these levels, so that you may not hurt your equipment. If you are not satisfied with the volume, then just get a louder system.

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 33
Well my HU goes up to 35 i think???or 31....one of the 2...i dont remember..but im pretty sure its 35....and my gain...i think its 4-8...not postive on that!...ya...i will end up upgrading pry to L7's prolly sometime in a year or 2....i was thinking either L7's or the R's....If i got a Type R then i'd probably jsut get another amp that is exactly the same as the one i have!...i'll check the caulking....when i first got the box, it didn't look like they did a very good job on the caulking, but i'll probably go back over what they did...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 773
25 out of 35 = 71%

25 out of 31 = 80%

Either way, you are at the limit of your HU and amp capacity. If you go above 70% you will usually get a distorted signal or clip the amp.

Just because it worked fine at higher volumes while it was still relatively new, doesnt mean it will forever. Remember speakers wattage RMS capacity is a "limit" not a goal.

Just because your speakers are rated at "up to" 200 watts RMS doesnt mean that you have to crank it up at 200 watts RMS each and every single time. They will wear out eventually.

Look at ity this way;

How fast could you run the 100 meter dash?

Could you run at that speed all day, every day?

Treat your subs the same way.

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 34
So you dont think anythings wrong with them!?:D???im just turning it up too loud??

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 36
????

Bronze Member

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 39
So i think im gonna take them back to my local guy...see if i can jsut get 2 new ones..or see what he thinks....but ya...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us