Will 200A alternator be enough

Bronze Member
Username: Illwill577

Post Number: 20
i just got a High Output 200 Amp Alternator and wanted to know if it will power my system well.. i got a kx2500.1 amp 2500 rms and a 1000w amp for my speakers and tweeters and the alternator is Output at idle = 95 amps. Maximum output of 200 amps is achieved at 1200 rpm. i want to know if i should get another battery or a capacitor. should i replace my stock battery and if i should a yellow top or red top. please give me tips.

Bronze Member
Username: Illwill577

Post Number: 21
also my subs are 2 12" l7s kicker and 1 15" l7 kicker and for my kx2500 amp its RMS Power Rating:
1500 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms
2500 watts x 1 chan. @ 2 ohms
Peak Power Output 5000 watts approx.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 366
3500 rms?
thats alot, but u may get away with it wtih 200a
but 95amps at idle is unexceptably LOW!
u will need some extra batteries and some caps.
this is just to stabilize things.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 435
i got a quete on a 200amp alt. an they want 500$ anywhere else i can get it cheaper

Bronze Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Post Number: 50
I'd try Nate from excessiveamperage.com - Most definetly will be a heck of alot cheaper thatn $500.

Dave (still waiting for my alt to arrive from him!!!)

Username: Funkapodamus

Doylestown, Pennsylvania United states

Post Number: 2
Would a 200 amp alternator with a yellow top battery work with a system built for:

Hifonics 440 watt amp (speakers
Viper 2500 watt amp (subs)

2940 watt total?

thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 329
Mike - should work perfectly unless you're going to play test tones at full volume all the time.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 318
what about a 105 amp alternator. would it be fine with:

orion 4004 ~ 400 wrms
Directed Audio 750d ~ 600 wrms

1000 wrms total?

Unregistered guest
hi ive got a RENAULT CLIO 1.2 and have plugged a renegade 1000watt amp and have plugged 2 110watt 6x9's and a 1200watt sub into it. can i just buy a power cap for this as im from the uk and cant find any were selling High Output Alternators. Please let me know thanks

Unregistered guest
hi ive got a RENAULT CLIO 1.2 and have plugged a renegade 1000watt amp and have plugged 2 110watt 6x9's and a 1200watt sub into it. can i just buy a power cap for this as im from the uk and cant find any were selling High Output Alternators. Please let me know thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4633
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 401
Matt, you SHOULD be fine.

Stephen, I have to question your amp being a REAL 1000w. The biggest common 4 ch are typically 100x4, 400x2 bridged. The fosgate p8004 for example - that's RMS power.

In looking through amps at the bassbin the REN-1000w looks more like a 50x4 amp than a 250x4 amp.

Unless you have an unusually small alternator (<50A) I can't see you having any problems.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5248
There are 250w RMS x 4 amps. I've tested one last year.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 402
I'm sure they exist, but I don't think it would be a stretch to say they're rare.

If you google search "renegade 1000w" I think you'll quickly understand my doubt that it's a real 1000w amp.

stephenlawes2006
Unregistered guest
thanks guys really apricitate the reply. only the other day i was just drivin the car and the battery sign kept coming on and every time i slowed down my car stalled. so i turned the CD player of and left it for half an hour and everything seemed fine. so am i able to get a power cap just to be on the safe side. Thanks

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 409
sounds like you may in fact have an unusually small alt, if that's the case a cap will do nothing to help. All a cap does is store charge from the alternator. If your alt is already insufficient the cap may only make it worse.

stephenlawes2006
Unregistered guest
do u know anywere in the uk i can get better alternaters from

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 433
ebay uk lists a couple, but I don't see anything that looks like a substantial upgrade. It looks like that car may use a mitsubishi brand alt, if that's the case you may be able to find a larger mitu alt from a different vehicle that will work.

You might try to find a renault forum and see if someone can help you.

Bronze Member
Username: Brahmaman

Post Number: 26
hey thought i would add mine in how about a treo ssx 12 pushing 2000 watts rms and an amp thts giving it around 1500 to 2000 would a 250 amp alt be ok for this setup let me knoooo

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4831
^^Yep that would be fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us