Q about amp power and how it changes with different circumstances...

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1540
okay i tuned my JL 1000/1 to put out 500w rms to my 15 SE for now... i tuned at 50hz and turned the gain up until the dmm read almost 32V. now thats appx 500w at a 2 ohm load.... however today i hooked the dmm up to the amp as i turned the volume up to the same level i tuned at but a 40hz tone and it read 37V. thats 684w rms. (by the V^2/load formula) then i turned the sub level to 5 out of 15... the reading was now 60V which by that formula is 1800w rms. whats the explanation for this? an SE should blow instantly with 1800w rms clean. and if it was 1800 from a 1000w amp then there would be clipping too... so im pretty postive it wasnt pushing 1800w.. but is it because of the impedence rise ? or whats the reason this is happening? the sub played it clear and very loud. i just wanted to do a burp and see the results. i dont play it like that daily...

note: i tuned with sub not hooked up as JL tutorial says. and these results were with the sub hooked up...

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1541
bump

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 564
Wow, that's a bit too technical for me. However, I'll help you out by bumping ya up. I'd like to know the answer too

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 358
Trevor using the (volt *.707)^2 I can see how u got those numbers.

I think the subs impedance changes instantaneous when they move.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4228
id like to hear this answer too ...i think I have an idea whats going on but I wanna hear the straight answer on this

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4233
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us