Good with Numbers Off Top of their Head

Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 9
For anyone who is good with numbes of the top of their head, i was wondering, if i wanted to stay around 300 bucks for 2 10's, and an amp what would u go with?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4562
2 kicker compvr & Audiobahn 8001 or 8002 amp .........

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 615
$300 for subs...AND AMP ? thats not much to work with

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4563
oh its very possible with ebay

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13487

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14818

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 618
dang - thats pretty good for a budget

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 219
I'd get the Lanzar Vibe 1200D refurb off ebay for $120 shipped. More power, more efficient, less money.

And you can get a pair of CVR10 dvc 4's shipped at discountave.net for $160.

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 149
lanzar is crap!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 227
Far from it.
Optidrives can hold their own against anything out there, and the Lanzar Vibe 1200D/1800D is one of the better buys you can find for a 1200w sub amp.

The rest of the Vibe/Viberant/Heritage lineup is aimed at the entry level consumer. Some of their ratings are way high, but they're all decent amps at the price.

To simply say "Lanzar is crap!" just makes you look ignorant.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5142
If you like Lanzar amps, then good for you. However, to say "can hold their own against anything out there" is bit of a stretch.
Amp's quality isn't judged by it's "power" numbers anyways. If that were the case, then Pyramid/Sony would rule the industry.
Main difference between quality amps like Zapco and Pyle/Sony/Pyramid/Lanzar is, one is "continuous" power, and the other one is not.
You can operate Zapco all day and it will give the rated power. The other one, will give you power for a short period of time, but if used continuously, it will burn out.
Everyone talks about watts is watts, but not entirely true.
Do some research on "power" and you'll understand.

Anonymous

aaaaaH - Optidriven got schooled ^^^ - lol

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 229
Isaac - Optidrives are solid amps. Plain and simple. They may not have the "elite" reputation Zapco/Arc/JL etc. does, but they will do what they're rated for, and do it for a long time.

Your sony/pyramid comparison is ridiculous. For one - Sony does what they advertise, contrary to popular belief. They just don't make any legit big power amps. I guess you just have to be smart enough to know what MAX ratings mean and what rms ratings mean. RMS IS continuous.

The fact that you even brought Pyramid into the conversation just makes me question your understanding of amplifiers as a whole.

In case you didn't know - surely you do - Lanzar Optidrives are some of the more popular SPL amps right now due to power/dollar, reliability, and in the case of the 2000D, the ability to drive 1/2 ohm loads at nearly 2000w.

To say Optidrive is BETTER than Zapco would be a stretch - to say they can hold thier own against anything out there is dead on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5144
Optidriven, do a little research on "RMS" power and "continuous" power. Then tell me if they're the same. Lot of people get confused with it.

"Sony does what they advertise"
You show me one that performed as advertised. I couldn't find any. Those suckers died way before it produced.
I brought Sony/Pyramid into the conversation cause they both claim very high RMS numbers as well as MAX.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5145
I really don't want to waste my time arguing over Lanzar.
Since you make them sound like the "IT" brand when it comes to amps, I wanted to give my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 352
^^ Root Mean Square
lol

Put it on a scope, compare the two.
There will be a difference..

But hey I cant find any of the Lanzar RMS ratings..

When people post subs or amps they should state power in RMS

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 232
I don't consider lanzar the IT brand at all.

But when someone says "lanzar is crap" - it would be unfair to lanzar and anyone who reads this thread to just let that stand on its own.

RMS is simply a term accepted within the industry that means continuous power even though, technically, there's no such thing as rms power. Just measurements of voltage and impedance that can be used to calculate it.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 354
"technically there is NO such thing as RMS pwr?"
i wish I could tell my teachers that... lamo
do u even know how to derrive a RMS value?
Optidrive im confused with your statement...

RMS is important to measure a Sinusoidal Alternating Waveform! (Sine Wave)
So how is it not important?
RMS is NOT necessarily half of the Total power!

1/square root of 2 OR .707 of its max value

That is what gives ALL of us a correct idea of the TRUE power rating!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 233
I was relating RMS to music, not sine waves.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 236
a couple quotes that I think are worth reading - from people much smarter than me.

"THere's no such thing as RMS power, by the way. We use it, and agreed to continue to use it in CEA2006 because it's now an industry convention.

A sine wave doesn't describe power. It describes voltage. THe RMS power is the power resulting from the RMS value of a voltage sine wave times the current required by the load--or the RMS value squared divided by the resistance of the load (by ohm's law).

--------------------
Andy Wehmeyer
Product Marketing Manager
Harman Consumer Group
Mobile Systems Division"

"Mr. Wehmeyer is quite correct :

1. There is no such thing as RMS power. There is only instantaneous (and therefore also peak) and average power.

2. There are, however, well-defined RMS values of voltage & current. These RMS voltages & currents are easily used (together with the cosine of the phase angle between them, which we call "power factor") to calculate average power.

3. All periodic voltage & current waveforms ... not just sinusoids ... have RMS values. However, only for a sinusoid is the RMS value equal to 0.707*peak"

I suppose I'm splitting hairs now, but my point was only that in this industry RMS and continuous are the same thing. At least that's the only info I've ever found.

Issac - if I'm mistaken, please don't hesitate to help me out.

Anonymous

opti just get over it LANZAR IS CRAP AND THATS THAT!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 12
*So an igorant guy walks into the conversation* (that'd be me) Isaac.... what IS the difference between RMS and continuous, because all I've known, RMS is the measure of continuous power. Im not trying to prove you wrong, i was just wondering, cuz i didnt know their was a difference.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 359
Optidriven.
I see how u are realting to music.
.707 is dc sine wave
Maybe this clear it up.

(volt^2 / imp)*.707 = RMS (FALSE)

(volt *.707)^2 / imp = TRUE RMS or 1/2 peak watts (TRUE)

RMS current * RMS voltage = RMS power

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 281
not to say that lanzar is the shizznet or anything but i had a vibe 1800d with 2 hrwdc12's and i blasted the crap outta that amp and never had any problems, and now that setup is in my younger brothers car doing the same thing, not the best amp on the market but it was a sure bang for the buck, 2 12's, 1000 watts rms each and a 1800 watt amp for 395, is a steal in my book.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 483
Blah blah blah, Lanzar is still crap. IT just is.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 311
I tried to let this die with Anon's ignorance, but I can't.

Nothing - Did you hear me?? - NOTHING in the Optidrive line is crap. Not in any way, shape, or form.

To run your mouth to the contrary is simply ignorance.

It's ok to be ignorant. I'm ignorant about a LOT of things, but I don't run my mouth about it.

If you want to say the non-opti stuff is crap - fine - I disagree, but I'm not going to argue.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 29
It all really depends on someones preference, Not everyone one here can afford a Kicker KX1200.1 or a JL1000/1, people just use what they can to get bass.. some people that have systems in my town don't know crap about car aduio, so they got schit like Sony and Pyle and Pyramid, but they don't care, cuz it sounds good to them and bumps their trunk..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us