What 12" subwoofer is the loudest for $75-$100? Need 4. CVR are $75 each, Are they the best?

Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
I have a reg cab silverado and can fit 4 12" subs behind the seat in a sealed box. Do you think 4 2005 CVR 12" subs are the best(loudest) for $300-$400? I have one kicker 1200/1 amp and can wire all 4 of them to a 1 ohm load if I get the dual 2 ohm subs. They are cheap ($75 each) but don't know if they would be the best. I could also do 2 kicker 12" L7's for $400 in a ported box (2cubic feet total). I think that the 4 CVR's would be louder though. I will have all the amp to push whatever subs even if I need another 1200/1. What should I do. Total Speaker Mounting Depth is only 7.5". What do you guys think?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 404
theres no way in hell you can fit 4 12" subs behind the seat of a reg cab silverado unless they are getting .2 cuft of airspace per sub. you are better off getting 2 higher end 12" subs or if you want 4 for whatever reason to get all 10". i think youll find its gonna be alot easier to work with and youll have a little room to play with on your amp as far as power goes. check out cerwin vegas VMAX series subs, they are comparable to the KickerCVR, IMO they have equal SPL but much better SQ. onlinecarstereo.com check that site out, both subs are there for about 80$ a piece

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 476
lol why 4? do you realize how loud 1 12" can get in a reg cab truck?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 899
Ryan C. is right. The 2004 V-Max is comparable to the 2005 CVR. (I think better lol).

The new 2005 V-Max is (I would say comparable) to the new Kicker CVX as well. Although, I'd say the new V-Max is probably still louder regardless of specs. and STILL sounds better. CV is known for producing large amounts of good quality sound with lower power input necessary. I don't think Kicker can say the same...

Silver Member

Post Number: 900
Also, have you thought about the RE SE? Two 12's will cost you a bit over $300 for the pair, be louder than both Kicker AND CV (hate to say it lol), and sound better than both, definitely the Kickers.

Bronze Member
Username: Liqdfire3

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 16
dude i have a gmc regular cab and there is no way in hell ur gonna fit four 12's behind ur seat. if u do, they will sound like sh*t! and as far as goin with the L7's, i dont see u having enough airspace for them unless ur using a custom fiberglass enclousure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 902
Not to mention L7's already sound crappy enough...

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 554
dude...just get 2 10's or 2 12's...i had 2 10'' type e's in a reg cab ford and they got loud as hell off a mrd 605. come on its just right there behind u , u dont need 4 12's for it to be loud

Bronze Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 17
yo casey how do u think two 12" Treo TSX's with a power acoustik a2400d amp sound in a single cab gmc?

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 556
what watt are the treo's ?

Bronze Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 90
400 rms

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 561
ive never personally heard any treo's but ive heard that they're good subs so they should be good..esp. in the reg cab truck

Bronze Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 19
if i get two of the dual 2ohm subs, can i wire them down to 1ohm?

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 562
only thing i dont like is the power acoustik amp.....if it was me i might start off with that but update it later on

Bronze Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 20
yeah i know. not the best choice. but it should work for a little while. i was thinking of a jl 1000/1

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 565
that would be VERY nice

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 566
you might have to put the amp under a seat though....

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 407
in my reg cab GMC i had 2 12" VMAX and a JBL 600.1 under the seat, everything fit really well but if i was to do it over again i would throw a couple 10" instead of the 12". i was forced to ride with my seat about 3inches more forward than i would of liked, kinda uncomfortable =/ but im not the biggest guy so it wasnt horrible. ive seen 3 10's behind a friends single cab seat but i really dont see the point. like everyone else has said, the subs are right behind you so there is no need for something crazy like 4 subs or something. even one solid 12" (provided it has enough mounting depth) with a good 300-400 watts would sound awesome in a reg cab truck. saves you money and youll be happier in the end

Bronze Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 21
yo ryan did u make your own box? i just bought this one.
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Subwoofer_enclosures/Pro_box/pro_box_subwoofer_ enclosure_chevy_regular_cab.htm
i got the one for two 12's. might consider two treo tsx's or maybe a set of alpine type s's. what u think? and with the space in the middle, casey, i will be able to mount my amp there.

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 570
i couldnt fit my amp between my 2 subs

Bronze Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 24
well my amp wont fit in there long ways but when i turn itwidth ways it does. u think the treo's or the alpines will sound better? i plan on puttin in some polyfill too. you know where i can find the polyfill?

Silver Member

Post Number: 903
Screw polyfill, cut up a mattress pad, it gives the EXACT SAME EFFECTS, and is cheaper...You get a lot more too...Go to your local dollar store and check 'em out lol.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1537
cheaper? polyfil is 2$ for 20oz lol. how is that expensive?

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 409
i bought my box off www.topedgeonline.com for around 100$ shipped. pretty decent box, fit in my truck perfectly. check the dimentions out on whatever box you plan to buy, especially the bottom depth. realize that your seat is going to have to move up for the box to fit, and you arent going to be able to have the seat pressed back against the subs unless you want to damage them. This is why i reccomended 2 10" subs, the depth wouldnt be as big of a problem, but your truck is also alot newer than mine (91') so my problem might not even occur with your vehicle. i have heard many good things about the Treo's, and just because im not a huge fan of alpine subs i would choose those. dont limit yourself though, there are TONS of great subs out there for the price you are willing to spend. read around this forum a little bit and youll learn alot in just a few days. And BTW i wouldnt reccodmend mounting your amp in the middle of your box, under your seat would be best. It will strain your box and also be too confined right behind your seat like that. Just possible problems that can occur, no reason to risk it

Silver Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 166
more is less, think about it. lol

Bronze Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 25
yeah i went on that site and i was going to get the ported box for one 12. but i decided to go with the one i bought because my truck is a newer one and i want to keep everything looking nice. not that the other box isnt as high of quality, i just like the finish and how it contours to the rear wall and where the tire jack is. as for the amp, its gonna be really hard to put in under my seat. i have a wire connector that hooks into my seats to turn the passenger airbag on and off.(Pressurized) but i dont know i will try and do what i can. when i finish the install, i will hit you up with some pics. whts ur email?

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 412
dub9symp@hotmail.com would love to see em

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 4
Yeah the 4 12" will fit behind the seat of a reg cab 05 silverado. I have 2 12" L7's in a ported box with 2 kappa 6x9's in another box on top of my subwoofer box. This is not for me, but for one of my friends and I know that 4 12" will fit in a sealed box. I had to move the center seat up a little, but they fit fine. So, I know how loud the 2 L7 12" subs are in a ported box, will the kicker CVR 12" be louder in a sealed? I need dual 2 ohm subs though for a 1 ohm load.

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 5
Yeah the 4 12" will fit behind the seat of a reg cab 05 silverado. I have 2 12" L7's in a ported box with 2 kappa 6x9's in another box on top of my subwoofer box. This is not for me, but for one of my friends and I know that 4 12" will fit in a sealed box. I had to move the center seat up a little, but both 12" L7's fit fine in my car. So, I know how loud the 2 L7 12" subs are in a ported box, will the kicker CVR 12" be louder in a sealed? I need dual 2 ohm subs though for a 1 ohm load.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 414
i extreamly doubt that 2 12" CVRs sealed will be louder than 2 L7's ported unless they arent getting very much power..L7's are primarily for SPL or loudness purposses, the CVRs should hold a little more sound quality than the L7s. So are you just aiming for getting super loud or do you want to actually be able to hear the different bass tones as well? Also, with 4 12s you would have to do all typed of upgrades that you havnt thought about(or might not of thought about). The big 3 as well as a new alternator would be neccessary. If you just want to get loud you might need to throw out a few more bucks..youll need a ported enclosure (which will be hard behind the seat of your reg cab truck) and something aimed towards just SPL like the L7, Audiobahn..etc. How much power was your friend sending to those 2 L7's and what kind of amp? I am very surprised you didnt think that was loud enough..i have heard L7s before and they get EXTREAMLY loud..and especially if your buddy has a reg cab truck like yours..maybe he has a bad install or something. keep us updated

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 6
Okay, so you think that the 2 L7's will be louder then the 4 CVR 12"? The 4 CVR 12" will be a $100 cheaper and the box is a lot easier to make. If he has a compacitor and a good battery it will be fine. Yes, my 2 L7's are very loud, they knock off my rear view mirror every time and maybe able to break my windows if they are up, ( they rattle a lot when they are half way down. I know it is very loud, but this is a cheaper route (4 CVR's) so if it is louder, he wants that. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 633
i dont see why he would want 4 12'' subs in a single cab truck

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 439
im going to say go with the 4 12's just because i wanna see pics of it in the future.

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 638
lol me too jake

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 441
i heard a kid with 4 (maybe JBL maybe something else similar to that brand) 10s in a single cab truck in a sealed box. the sub was seriously 4 inches from ur face it was pretty scary. you could hear ZERO music just bass.

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 466
"compacitor and a good battery it will be fine"
you are wrong here you would need a ho alt and the big 3 upgrade as well other wise there would be problems down the road

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 418
You would need about a 4cuft box for all 4 of those CVRs..anything smaller wouldnt be worth it. It is hard to say wether or not they would get louder than the 2 L7's..i think they would be pretty similar if both recieved 1200watts of power, the 4 CVRs MIGHT get louder due to the extra surface area. So are you making the box or ordering one?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14816
109x4 = 436$ shipped, pretty good deal considering i cant find any dual 2ohm CVRs on ebay at the moment.. That would be a crazy install for a reg cab truck, and 300watts a piece would sound damn good on those subs. Tough decision but like you said, the 4 12's are cheaper than 2 L7s..

and btw, a capacitor wont do a damn thing for your truck unless you have a high output alternator to go with it. Do what ya do, let us know what you decide. Peace

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 419
oh ya, if you wanted to save a little more money, and get a better sub all around IMO.. go for 4 of these http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13950 RMS is 300watts which would be perfect for the kx1200.1, they get just as loud and have better SQ while doing it. also, only 89x4 = 356$ shipped, saves almost 100$ which you could put towards a HO alt. Good luck!

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 8
Yeah I get the CVR 12" for $75 each brand new 05 model at a car audio place by my house, and the L7's for 200 also. The dimensions for the box are 9x13x56 (i think.) I will have enough amp, even if I need another amp to push them. So is the 4 12" going to be louder? This is for my friend but I have 2 L7 12" subs in a ported box with 2 kicker 1200/1 and they don't need a new alt.

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 502
if you're running 2 kx1200.1s on a stock alt... It will look like a disco ball if you turn the interior lights on and play a decent bass track.

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 503
if you're running 2 kx1200.1s on a stock alt... It will look like a disco ball if you turn the interior lights on and play a decent bass track.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 12
haha thanks

Silver Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 487
what size alt is it and are you 100% sure you wont need another one especially if you get a cap

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 13
I am not sure, but it is the stock 2005 silverado v6 4.3 model. Do you know how big I would need? I have a 1 farad cap.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 14
Can you put 2 alts together easily or is better to just buy 1?

Silver Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 490
i dont no how big but if you have a stock alt you will have to get a ho alt trust us the cap will just add more strain onto your alt and make it die even faster i would say you would need like a 180 amp one but im not sure anyone else on how big

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 15
It is or about a 105 amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us