Need help choosing an amp

Theresa
Unregistered guest
I got a great deal on some Infinity Reference 1240w 4 ohm 12" subs, buy one get one free. Can't beat it for $100, the rms is 300, so i was wondering what is a good amp to get within a reasonable price range and that sounds great with these subs. I'm clueless when it comes to car audio. If anyone have any ideas that would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 430
kicker makes an amp that is 600watts at 2ohm.

Theresa
Unregistered guest
ok thats where i'm confused at i thought you had to get an amp that was close to the rms, is that not correct? I'm also confused about 4ohms and 2ohms what does that mean?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 403
you are right Theresa..you want an amp close to the RMS of your subs. if each sub has an RMS of 300, that means you want an amp that does roughly 600watts at 2 ohms (if those are SVC 4ohm, not DVC) if they are DVC 4ohm youre going to want an amp that does 600watts at 1ohm or 4ohms. These are simply ways to wire your subs to your amp for the best performance. What is your price range for an amp? We dont know what is a 'reasonable' price range for you..but on average, you are going to pay about $200-250 on ebay for an amp to run those subs. you can always underpower subs..a 400watt amp would be fine as well, just would bring the subs to their max excursion.

Theresa
Unregistered guest
oh ok so when my sub list its rms at 300 thats at 4 ohms and if i wire them at 2 ohms i can double the wattage to 600 for maximum power? Also thought that it isn't good to underpower your subs because you can damage them?

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 405
First you need to find out if your subs are 4ohm SVC or 4ohm DVC. this will determine what amp you are going to want to purchase. you arent neccessarily "doubling the wattage" by wiring it to 2ohms, that is just the total for both subs. If each can take 300rms, then that would be 300 + 300 = 600. This is the desired amount of power to be shared between each of your subs. If you get an amp that only does 300watts at 2ohms, then you divide that by two, giving each sub only 150watts...equaling half their deisred 300watt power. If you underpower your subs sufficiantly i have heard they can be damaged..but going from 300watts to 200watts per sub will not harm them in any way. Find out if you subs are 4ohm SVC (single voice coil) or 4ohm DVC (dual voice coil) and get back to us on here

Theresa
Unregistered guest
oh ok i understand now, but um my subs ar 4ohm svc.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4201
teresa go here amps on there auction is almost over I know the guy 100 percent trust worthy

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZspl141QQhtZ-1

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 411
Thats perfect. 2 SVC 4ohm subs will wire down to 2ohms, perfect for a mono amp. Look for an amp that puts out anywhere from 400-600watts x 1 @ 2ohms. Kicker and JBL are both very decent for the money... possible a Kicker KX600.1 or JBL BP600.1 check ebay out and im sure youll find something. good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 926
you can use the alpine, mrd-m605 or the kicker 650.1. whatever the case, you need to see a rating of max power at 2ohms, and then unless the amp is rated at normal voltage, you won't see max power anyway. rule of thumb, stay at rms or a tad above, especially on entry level subs.

Theresa
Unregistered guest
ok is a mono amp or a multichannel amp better?

Theresa
Unregistered guest
Thanx alot you guys have been a big help :-)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4009
depends on ur goal, in ur case a mono would work best

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 933
well for single voice coil subs, i would say a mono, and do not use a 4channel, they are meant to run internal not subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us