Off topic..... car problems.....

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 105
Alright this is off topic but theres seems to be alot of people who know about cars. Well my oil meter on the dash used to be at around 40 -50 and know it goes all the way to the right to like 80 and somethimes when im driving the oil meter goes down to like a little bit above 0 and the battery meter also goes down to like 3 volts at the same time the oil meter goes down and when i press on the gas the car is like struggling to move and it barely moves. And then i put it on park and the car turns off. And when i start it again the battery and the oil meter are still very low to the left and the car is on for like three seconds and then it turns off. Then i need to like let it cool off for like 5 minutes and then it starts normally.

Can some one please help me out right now i have no ride:-(

Bronze Member
Username: Havey02

Post Number: 12
How old is your car, what kind of car is it, and how many miles do you have on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Its a 1988 buick park avenue with 130,000 somewhere in the 130's miles runs smooth but now im having this problem.

Im thinking its the oil pump?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
normally when oil pumps fail it is all of a sudden and they normally dont work again. I worked for a mechanic here in houston for about 3 years when i was younger and to me it almost sounds like your car is being starved for gas. The reason i say this is because both gauges are droping at the same time. The oil pump is mechanical and is driven by your mail pulley meaning when something slips or slows down noticeably your alternator and oil pump will slow resulting in the drop at the same time. This could be caused by the following:

-Fuel Filter
-Fuel Screen on Fuel Pump
-Carbon build on Fuel Injectors
-Also i know it sounds mundane but check your air filter. When they get dirty engines cannot breathe.

I would first replace the fuel filter and run a fuel system cleaner in it. I recomend the techron cleaner from chevron, or if you think you can handle a more powerful one i recommend seafoam. I would be very careful with seafoam though because you pour it directly into your throttle body and can hydrolock your engine if you pour it in too fast. Just fill up with 93 octane gas and pour a whole bottle of techron in there and drive it until its empty. Then change your oil and oil filter and fuel filter again.
This sounds expensive but it is necessary for older cars that have accumulated a lot of carbon buildup over the years.

Also check your engine belt for tears and cracks. There have been times when a little engine coolant sprayed onto the serpantine belt and it slipped past all the drive wheels causing the car to die randomily.

Also if your oil pressure gauge reads close to 80 in the mornings that is normal if you are using a thicker oil. Just give it a minute or so for the oil to get warmed up.

Sorry for the length of this post but i know it sucks to have car problems that prevent you from driving your car. If there is anything else you left out just post because there are some other possibilities that could be the problem.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5346
Wouldn't hurt to have your timing checked while you're at it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Alright guys now my car wont start at all i was checking all the fuses and i looked at some under the dash and one of them was blown i replaced it and it works again but like 5 minutes later the battery meter and oil pressure fall low again and the fuse blows it is labeled fuel pump, i guess its a fuse for the fuel pump.

Wow the fuel filter i dont think that has ever been replaced for the 4-5 years i had it lol. where is the fuel filter in my car do you know? also i just notice sometimes when i step on the gas real fast the car back fires from where the air filter is at and the filter is clean. they told me that it can do that when the spark plug wires are in the wrong place but the spark plug wires and spark plugs are new though. Is there like a diagram online teliing me the right place to put the spark plug wires.The fuel pump is like a year and 2 months old. The battery is also brand new and the alternator. so you guys think is my oil pump?

And how do i check my timing? lol Thank
you so much for your help guys im trying to get it fixed by wednesday when i have to go back to work and i really dont like asking people for rides in the morning.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1358
Sounds like you have a bad ground on your fuel pump, or it's just sh1tting out on you. Try a fuse that's 5-10 amps bigger, that might get you around for awhile until you can get to replacing that fuel filter. And the filter should be right next to the gas tank...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Fuel filters normally look like a little cylinder thats hooked up inline with the gas line to your engine. They are cheap tp replace around 10 or so dollars. If its not that then it probably is the fuel pump because of the shorting issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
alright thanks alot guys my dad looked at the car and it turns out it was a short somewhere on the engine it was this little tube thing that had wires out of it and they were shorting each other out the wires were melted to each other it had something to do with the oil cause the oil is now normal. im guessing it was the oil pump.I guess thats why the fuse kept blowing out lol. I also replaced the fuel filter and now every thing is fine and running smooth better than ever. Thanks all you guys for helping out what a bunch of great guys:-)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5356
Glad it wasn't something more serious. If the fuel pump is inside the gas tank, those are a pain to change out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us