Repercussions of under powering and over powering a amp.

Username: Arjun_mail

Post Number: 5
A friend of mine has an alpine V12 700watt mono amp. His sub is a pioneer 450-watt enclosure series. Although he keeps the amps gain on minimal, I was wonder would that cause a problem.
Also another friend of mine has a 306c pioneer sub 1000-watts. And his amp is a 500 watt 504 Sony that is a 4-channel amp so that basically means his sub is not even getting the nominal input power of 600 watts.
Do either of them risk any damage??
In both their cars the effects by their subs are extremely pleasing. What could be the reason behind that?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 206
Find the RMS power of the items you're asking about and ask the question again. Model numbers are best. Max power doesn't mean much.

The 306c, for example, is not a 1000w sub, it's 400.

Username: Arjun_mail

Post Number: 7
how do i calculate the RMS ?the first amp is a 4channel amp with a max power of 500-watts.that means 500watts on a 2ohm load.
the spcs of sony 504 amp is as follows.
4/3 Channel Stereo Power Amplifier
• MOSFET Power Supply
• Maximum Output Power:
4Ch x 100W at 4Ω
2Ch x 125W + 1Ch x 250W at 4Ω
4Ch x 125W at 2Ω
•Frequency Response:5Hz-50KHz
• High Pass Filter (selectable): 80Hz, -12dB/oct
• Low Pass Filter (selectable): 80Hz, -18dB/oct
now this amp is not only powering a 306c but also pioneer 6990 which are 400watt speakers (50 rms).

its been working perfectly for 8 months now and the gain level is max.
could there be any problem in the future ?

and the other pioneer woofer is 450-watts max so most probably the nominal would be 150-watts.now that sub is wired on a v12 alpine 700 watt mono amplifier.the gain level is set to 10 %.
could the amp blow the sub due to over powering it ??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us