Can't pick a Head Unit

Big Sim
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I'm trying to put together a system for my car and I'm having trouble picking a head unit. All I want is a nice clear sound, I don't listen to a lot of bassy stuff, like R&B and that, more alternative/rocky stuff, so I don't need a huge amount of bass. I think I'm gonna go alpine for the speakers (2 6x9's and 2 6's to start off with). I've narrowed the head unit down to pioneer and alpine. I know people recommend pioneer's premier line, but from what I understand, they don't work with Australian (where I'm from) radio frequencies(?). From what I've read, I think it's between alpine's cda-9833 and the pioneer's deh-7750mp. I like the pretty screen of the pioneer, but word is the alpine has better sound quality. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks in advance :-)

Jenna93O
Unregistered guest
I would go with the Pioneer.
Often times, the sound quality is minimally different between higher end Alpine and Pioneer headunits.
Alpines tend to be pricier, and for less money you can get the same features out of a Pioneer. Also, I've found that more people like the Pioneer display more than the Alpine display.
I suggest that you find a way to listen to both of the headunits, and then you compare the sound for yourself.
I've listened to both of them, and I can honestly say two things:
First off, the sound quality is about the same in both headunits. Usually speakers play more of a role in determining the quality of sound anyways.
Second, I happen to personally like the Pioneer unit better. I think its easier to use, the display is nicer, and you get more control out of the functions.

Big Sim
Unregistered guest
Thanks heaps for your help Jenna. I like the pioneer display more myself, so I was kind of leaning that way. Is it true what I said, about the premier line not playing radio in Australia? Coz if it's not, I think that'd be my first pick.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2456
What frequencies are broadcast frequency-wise in Australia? US(therefore Pioneer and Alpine default) is 88.5-108.0MHz.

Big Sim
Unregistered guest
As far as I can see it's the same range, but it's this I read on Crutchfield Advisor that I was concerned about:

European Tuning
The European tuning interval of .05 MHz is different from the US tuning interval of .2 MHz. If a CD receiver also has European tuning, it is compatible with the European scale and can be used in many European countries.

When I looked for Premier specs on the internet, I found that Eurpoean tuning wasn't a feature, so I assumed that meant Premier stuff wouldn't work in Australia. So yeah, I'm not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2796
I whould recommend you the Pioneer Unit over the alpine anyday. Especially the 2005 models and beyond.

Big Sim
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help MO, I think I'm gonna take the Pioneer. Just to be completely sure, I've done a bit more research on the whole European tuning thing and from what I understand, it won't affect FM stations, only AM. Is this the case? Is there even a difference between the Premier stuff and the standard Pioneer apart from the warranty (which e-bay makes pretty difficult anyway)?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us