Electrical Units Of Measurment

Bronze Member
Username: Greeney88

Http://www.freewebs.co..., Minnesota US

Post Number: 34
Three basic units of electrical measurement are:
-Amperes (rate of electron flow)
-Volts (force that causes electrons to flow)
-Ohms (resistance to electron flow)

An AMPERES is a measurement of the number of electrons flowing past any given point in a specific length of time. One ampere of current is equal to 6,240,000,000,000,000,000 (6.24 x 10^18) electrons per second. Since electricity is generally transmitted through wires, the greater the number of electrons flowing, the larger the wire size must be.
The difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit is measured in VOLTS. Voltage is the force, or potential, that causes the electrons to flow.
Resistance to electron flow is measured in OHMS. Some materials produce a strong resistance to electron flow ; others produce little resistance. If a wire is too small for the amount of current produced at the source, the wire will create excessive resistance and will get hot.

OHM'S LAW:
Every electrical circuit operates with an exact relationship of volts, amps, and ohms. It is possible to work out their mathematical relationship through the application of Ohm's Law.

The formula for Ohm's law is I=E/R where:

I= amperes
E= volts
R= ohms

I actually learned all this in school today believe it or not.. just thought i would share the info with u guys- mike

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10877
8th grade?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
11th

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5339
"8th grade?"
That was wrong, lol.

What class was it, a science class or does your school offer a vocational program for electronics? Our high schools don't offer anything in the electronics field anymore, that's why I was wondering.

Acoustics and electronics are very similar to one another. If you dive further into both, you'll start to see the similarities.

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1516
I had the same class last year

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 466
I thought the SI abbreviation for "electric potential" or "potential difference" is V, for voltage? E?? lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5341
"I thought the SI abbreviation for "electric potential" or "potential difference" is V, for voltage? E?? lol"

V and E are both used, neither is really standard. E tends to be used more when describing voltage across a source (battery, generator), and V for everything else. E stood for electromotive force, which explains the symbol. And you know what V stands for. Main thing to remember with any of them is that they're all uppercase unless it's an instantaneous measurement, instantaneous measurements use a lowercase letter.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 470
whenever I see E, I think more of KE, PE.. some sort of energy more with mechanics. but I see what you're saying

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5342
In electronics E is also used to abbreviate energy, namely in power equations, that's another reason V is more common.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
actually the class is called "small gas engines" and so were suppose to take part an engine and find out the problem with it and fix it... pretty easy A and plus if we finish they have a pipe bender and u know what that means.. dual exhaust! haha

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 455
i took a electrical in high school for my shop in a technical school and now i ma going to school for electrical engineerigna dn i notice overlaps of one another
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us