Car/Home Audio...What's up with this?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 856
I just got my paif of Cerwin Vega V-12F home audio speakers in yesterday. 12" woofer, 6.5" mid-woofers, and 1" tweeters. VERY nice sound and bass.

Here's the thing, I can run them at about 60W RMS with my Kenwood KR-6600 stereo receiver (vintage), and with the power amp I want to get I can give them the full 150W RMS.

My question is, just with the Kenwood receiver, the bass output is louder and lower than ANY car audio system I've heard around here, and once I fully power them, I can expect about a 4-5dB increase in SPL. As if the current 125dB isn't enough.

Is this normal? I'm comparing this to a few system's I've heard. A pair of Type E's, Kicker CVR's, pair of Audiobahns (400W RMS is all I know), and my Volfenhags of course.

All of the systems above are ported, except mine of course. But basically I was just wondering why my home system is able to outplay all of these systems, without even fully powering them...

I would have posted this in home audio, but they kind of arrogant there at times when you compare home and car audio. I personally don't see why both can't just get along lol.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 526
The only thing that I can see is that it has something to do with the acoustics of the room, and the way your speakers play in it. My home stereo get's a lot louder if I just move in a few feet. It's all weird, but it works lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 857
Just thought I'd include a couple pics. The cones aren't really blue, but black rather, it's just my crappy digital camera lol.
Upload
Upload

That is what I'm powering them with at the moment.
That's my baby, it pretty much can give a beastly amount of power to anything...If only I could own a KR-7600 and 9600. One does 80W RMS, and the other 120W RMS!

Upload

Although I have this KA-3500 integrated amplifier that has the very similar circuitry makeup as the KR-6600. Only puts out about 35W RMS however.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 858
Young, well, I'd hope your stereo gets louder as you move closer lol.

I have plaster walls, so my room's hard to fill with sound as it is, but these do it, almost too well, there's nothing that doesn't rattle lol.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4504
Hey Tyler looking @ that Kenwood made me remember that we have 1 ! - but we got the KR 9600 model

MAN - its old , made in the 70s . My bro who used 2 b a DJ back then bought it brand new & we still have it . Its a WORKHOUSE cause we did all kinds of stuff with it & it still runs like new & its pretty powerful too .

We also have an old Sound Shaper 2 30 band EQ & a turntable + a Fisher double casette deck .......

Silver Member

Post Number: 860
Sweet! I've got an old Technics turntable from back in the 70's. I've only got a late 80's/early 90's Pioneer 12 Band EQ. It's about all I need lol. I've got a Realistic Power Meter and Realistic dual cassette deck as well.

Oh yea, what type of speakers do you run on the 9600, if you still play music on it regularly...

Yes, the KR-9600 IS a workhorse! The problem is the IC chips I believe, aren't available anymore, so repair on them is near impossible to do when an IC dies. Still, great product though. I wish I had the KR-7600 though, a bit more power, and it still has parts available. But yep, those 70's-80's models Kenwood put out are keepers, they're like the old relative that never goes away. But when they're dead, you miss them. (Relative and receiver/amps lol)

The KR-6600 was my first REAL piece of audio gear excluding a shelf system I had.

I've got the KR-6600, the KR-2600, and the KA-3500. I also had a pretty powerful 50W RMS Lafayette receiver too, but yet again, they don't make the IC's for it, and it died, shame, very nice unit.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5324
Typically, car audio can get much louder than home. The car systems you've heard (Kickers, Type Es, Volfenhags, etc.) aren't particularly that loud. 125db is pretty loud, but 140+ is more typical with a high performance system in a car. Cars tend to drop lower with cabin gain as well. Just a generalization, though.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4507
Been about 3yrs now since we switched on that old Kenwood but i'm 100% sure it'll run if i go turn it on now -lol

Technics !!!- yes man thats the name of my turntable too ! i did not remember the name when i posted above .

Also got a old Pioneer Reveberation Amplifier - used 2 give that echoish/robotic sounding live feel 2 music .

Got that set pushing an also very old 18" COLOSSUS sub - no not Hifonics cause this was made even b4 Hif was even born -lol .

When my bro was a DJ back in the day the BGs ruled & he had a spinning globe thing with some pulsating lights & a afro even though his hair is straight -lol ....

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5331
Typically, car audio can get much louder than home. The car systems you've heard (Kickers, Type Es, Volfenhags, etc.) aren't particularly that loud. 125db is pretty loud, but 140+ is more typical with a high performance system in a car. Cars tend to drop lower with cabin gain as well. Just a generalization, though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5332
Sorry about double post

Silver Member

Post Number: 861
LMFAO @ Rovin. Sounds like a good time.

Jonathan, what about an 18" SoloX? They're pretty loud...And I'm pretty sure my V-12F's have louder bass, I heard one at a car audio shop around here, not in a car, but a sound room...Even though the SoloX's are junk, they still do get loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 862
Hrmmm, well I could have definitely matched that 140dB had I gone with the V-15F's. They peak at just around there...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us