Third wire on RCA?

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 515
the RCA ables for the amp to the deck, they have a third very small wire, is that the ground?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 191
if it's visible at both ends it's a remote wire, if it's only visible at one end it's a drain wire that is supposed to be grounded at the HU.

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
its on both ends, where do i hook it up, or if im not usin the remote, should i leave it alone?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4482
i recently tried a different brand of rcas from X SCORPION & it too had a "drain wire" - says on the pack "drains electrostatic noise to ground & away from circuitry"

i never used a type with this 3rd wire b4 too so i'm guessing u ground it to ur HU metal casing & same on ur amp - i temporary taped off mine 4 the time being until my install is done ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
so its not a remote wire?? "says on the pack "drains electrostatic noise to ground & away from circuitry"" whats electroscatic noise?
i cut both ends untill i get my install done, i shouldn't ground it to the amp correct? i should do it to a grounding point in my trunk? the RCA cables are from audiopipe... if that will help anyone

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 198
They're supposed to be terminated at the HU only, but the fact of the matter is drain wires are pointless in a car. They are effective at blocking high frequency noise that's flying around us 24/7. The problem is we can't hear that noise anyway so it doesn't make any difference.

this sums it up...
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=019870#000000

Silver Member

Post Number: 519
is it bad to hook up the RCA's but not have them running to the amp? i have everything wired, (power not connected to battery) but they aren't running to anything... is that bad?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4485
er - i can't get that link 2 work even when i copy/paste it ....

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 448
its the remote wire,my rcas have the same thing too

Bronze Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 12
Mine came with that too from Audiopipe, I'm using it as a remote wire and i haven't noticed any problems, i don't remember it saying anything about a drain wire on the package, also makes it also easier on running a seperate little wire under the damn carpet..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us