Head Unit Is Not Making Sense

Bronze Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 43
I was attempting to put a head unit in a buick cuttlas and i got the back speakers hooked up and the front right speakers hooked up when all of a sudden one of the 3 main power wires touched each other and some sparks flew. It wasn't that long but enough to make it turn off. So i pulled the fuse out of the back and checked it evan tryed two other fuses. Lets get to the weird thing. When i was connecting those two speakers up, the head unit was on and the red was with the red , the yellow was touching the yellow and the ground was touching the ground. After it stopped working it will only now turn on if you disconnect the yellow from the back of the hu and twist it with the red and run it into the Hu. MAn its so hard to explain but maybe if someones knows there sh.it they could probaly make some sense out of what i'm saying. Thank You Any Suggestions. Totaly lost

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 165
Check the fuse panel in the car. It may have a fuse for the radio & cig lighter, I think. Check all the fuses. Did you do this with the battery disconnected? If not it is possible that you cooked something, but I doubt it. Sometimes some vehicles have resettable breakers. Try disconnecting the battery, wiring it up the right way & lemme know. The yellow wire off the head unit is memory. Red is 12VDC(Power)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
No the battery was connected thats why somthing shorted out. I think the ground touched the red wire and then the hu shut off. So it might be a fuse. I'll check that and get back to you just dont forget about this thread plese. I can use any help possible.TY

Anonymous

its the fuse in the amp fuse box or your wiring is wrong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
its not wrong i had it hooked up and playing while i was connecting speaker wires then the red touched the ground and shorted. Like i said the hu still works when you hook the wires the wrong way by connecting the red with the yellow.

Silver Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 171
Hey Anon, you might be tryin' to help, but how 'bout get a name, register and interrupt some other thread- or either learn something about car audio & come back when you actually know WTF u r talking about. Now, Pimpster, I had the same thing happen to me on an amp. I was a dumass & had fire going to it as well. (Not calling you a dumass) Keep checking fuses, unhhok the battery, & see if the thing resets itself. Otherwise you may have to have it bench tested to see if it is fried.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Thank all of You. Ill unkook the batt. but what does it reset. Like i said the hu works fine it's the car. Idk, i'm going to get a degree in this sh.it so i don't have to ask questions. Thanks for help from somone that knows there sh.it. I'll get back to you to tell u if it worked or not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
It was the fuse. It's working.

Silver Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 183
Glad to hear it man. BOOM RESPONSIBLY...to coin a phrase....

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
what? I'm a lil fu.cked up right now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us