Please explain the deal with hertz.

Username: Denrik

Post Number: 9
hey guys, I'm new to this, as you could probably imagine so I have a question about hertz.
I have seen subs that have a frequency range of like say 30hz to 1.2k Hz. And yet with my amp I have it set on low pass frequency and turned down to 40hz (lowest it goes). When I turn it up to 150hz (highest on low pass) my sub sounds crap. Now why would one want a sub that can handle 12.k Hz if its not got any displacement on the quality of bass your getting, am I missing something? Please if someone could explain.
Cheers, Dan.

Anonymous

go read www.bcae1.com

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 402
subs are supposed to play low frequecny not high frequecny thats why it sounds like crap

Username: Denrik

Post Number: 10
Lol...really charlie, you dont say. That was the point behind the foundign of my post.
But thanks lads.
Dan.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 852
Actually, it's not that the sub sounds like "crap". It's just not playing the low frequencies you're used to hearing.

It's playing what you tell it to, and that's nothing below 150Hz.

Standard Coaxial speakers have a Frequency Response of about 60-80Hz in the bass range, so basically, take your door speaker's bass, and amplify it a lot. That's what you're hearing, but even higher!

I can't say I see the point in setting the LPF that high, but I'm sure it has it's reasons. I believe it's meant for ported enclosures specifically, as you can set it to the tuning frequency of the port. Although I've never heard of anyone porting higher than 50Hz, and that's for SPL competitions...

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 423
well then dan if you no that then dont make is seem like your that stupid like you did in your question because thats basically what its asking im just trying to explain it really simple for you ok

Bronze Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 51
in very simple words:
Bass is in the lowe freq.
sounds like people screamin is in the high freq.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us