Will 2 sub 200wrms each play louder than 1 sub 500wrms?

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 164
So far I've got a sealed enclosure with one 10" subwoofer 330w rms (1200w peak), but since I think It doesn't kick thattttt much bass, i was thinking if 2 sub 10" with the same AMP but with 200wrms each channel will sound louder, and with a deeper bass instead nowaday (only one sub with 500w rms)

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 286
explain your question a little better please!

10inch 330rms and u want to put 2 10inch that are 200rms each?
r they the same brand sub?
the 2 10inch should give u the edge, cause they have more surface area than the 1 10inch

which sub sounds better? u will have to decide!

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 166
ok, simple question... shorter.

can two 10" subwoofers play louder and deeper if they are powered with 200w rms per channel
or will one 10" subwoofer powered with 500w rms play louder and deeper

same brand, same model, speakers are rated at 330w rms / 1200w max
amp: 200w rms x 2 / 500w rms bridged (mono) / 1200w max

---------------------------------------
remember if I use 2 subs it will be underpowered 200w rms instead of 330w rms
---------------------------------------
Comprende?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5132
2 subs will move more air, thus giving you more bass.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 168
Mathematically there shouldn't be much difference with the edge leaning to the single 10.

Yes - you double cone area, but you're halving the power to each sub effectively halving the cone travel - which, of course, is the other component of the displacement equation.

In this case though, with a 330w sub seeing 500w it's quite possible that extra ~200w wasn't doing much more for the sub than heating up the coil. So adding another sub with each getting 200w may be slightly louder - if I had to guess.

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 167
even if they're underpowered?

200w rms instead of 330w rms
(just curious)

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 295
u still curious?

Username: Denrik

Post Number: 7
I was speaking to a guy the other week who knows a fair bit about this stuff and he had a 1200w rms 15" sub running off a 120w rms amp, cheap brand, i didnt think that was physicaly possible, but he put it into a analogy that is simple to understand. The amp is a car's axel right and the sub is a wheel, it doesnt matter what wheel you put on the axel, its still going to run, but to get it going perfect you need to match the wheel (sub) to the axel (amp). I thought that was quite ingenious. Having 2 10" would be better probably, as said, moves more air. But all you can do try it man, the worst thing thats going to happen is its not gona work the way you planned and your going ot have a spare sub.
Dan.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 170
Yes, I think 200w on two 330w subs would be louder than 500w on the same, single 330w sub, but not substantially.

200w is a good amount of power for a 330w sub. you don't HAVE to have rated power to a speaker for it to sound good and get fairly loud.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 459
yea, once you reach the subs mechanical limits, more power isnt going to do much for you... mostly just add heat that you dont want. The 2 would almost definitely be louder, but nobody can say for sure as it all depends on the install.

Bronze Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 28
I definately think the two subs will be louder and deeper. More surface area = more air moved. In all reality, 130 watts isnt that much.

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 168
Another two question (and excuse me for ask so many things) :-)

1. Can I have 2 different brands, with different powers in the same enclosure?
For Example: one XPLOD 10" 330w rms (max 1200) and one PIONEER 10" 300w rms (max 600), with different enclosure recommendations?
With the same AMP 200w rms x 2

Bronze Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 30
ewwwww. Thats a bad idea. That is just a no-no. They'd play different and sound different. One may be louder and deeper while the other is light and high. They require different airspace too. Just don't do it.

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 447
it also depends on how effecient your subs are i have a old schoo jlw3 (250 rms) i had it powered by a 240 rms amp and then i put a 160 rms amp to the sub and the sub was not much louder both amps by mtx
if there effecient than 2 would be louder if there not then maybe just 1 would be louder
thats just my opinion

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 169
I knew I was missing 2 more questions. hehe.
-----
1. Can I put 2 subwoofer with a mono (bridged amp)? what real watt will my amp be delivering to each sub if used like that? 500w rms or 250w rms?
I have no idea
---------
2. If I decide to not use it bridged, and use it as 200w rms x 2 Will it draw more power from my alternator? or less? 200w rms x 2 = 400w rms, instead of 1 x 500w rms... I just wonder.

gracias

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 299
u seem like a really confused fella.
the lower ohms will draw more current.
if u bridged that amp, then your min ohm load will change. it may be 4 ohms minimum now..

so b4 u start miss-matching subs or hooking stuff up, make sure u know your amps minimum ohm load, and your sub configuration.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us