Wiring question

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 160
if i upgrade my alternator from a stock 110A to 200A and I currently run the big 3 with my 110A fused at 125A to the positive battery terminal, will I need to upgrade the fuse if I use the 200A alty or just use the same fuse?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 779
are you talking about your main line fuse for your stereo or putting a fuse on the out put line of the alternator to the battery??
you want the main line fuse to be about the size of the amperage you are pulling through that line. and you'll want a 200 amp fuse, or a little bigger, on the alternator to battery wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
so use a 200+ rated fuse on the alt to battery? I also kept the stock alt to battery power wire. is it okay to remove the stock power line because it is fused at about 125A, or should I leave it as is? I see no real point of it being there if my new alt will push 200A, it will blow that stock fuse anyway right?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 783
you should upgrade the size of the wire, and if the stock wire is fused below 200 amp, it'll blow the fuse, so you'll need to replace and remove the stock wire. make sure that wire doesn't branch off and power other things though, if it does you'll need to move thoes power wires around.

you should also upgrade the size of the battery to chassis ground wire and the engine block to chassis ground wire. (also called the "Big 3")

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
ya that's the problem. the stock alternator power wire runs thru a fuse box so I know that it powers other things. if I upgrade the stock wire and fuse it at 200A as well as the new wire to the battery, will that work you think?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 787
have you tried hooking everything up and leaving the stock wire and fuse in place, just adding the upgraded wires to it and seeing if it pops the fuse?? i don't think it will receive all 200 amps, it will only pull what it needs. i'd try to do that before you change any of the stock wireing around too much. you shouldn't mess anything up because its fused. then if it does, you'll know to upgrade it.

i know on my car, i have an 80 amp fuse on the wire going into the fuse box and haven't had a problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
k thank alot bro
-matt

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 790
no problem, hope you get it all figured out.
my new Alternator will be here wednesday, so i'll be putting mine in, lol, again, pain in the as.s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us