Powering my new sx

Silver Member
Username: A444w444m

Post Number: 182
i ordered my sx 15 and im gonna power that w. an re 12.1, the car is a 93 honda accord, the stock alt has been replaced bc it messed up, but i dont no wut the new one is. my dad says i cant put a new alt in the car so what is the cheapest solution to fully solve the very likely unpowering problem that will occur? i wuz wonderin about maybe the big 3 and a new batt, but i dont no much about batteries so wut kind of batt should i get or is there another solution? also, how much will it cost?

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
bump bump bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
bump, wut do i need to do to sufficiently power the sx 15 and re 12.1 amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Ruxpin20

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 42
im not sure how much wattage you have going to that sx but you probably gonna need at least a thousand watts which means that you need a good amount of amps, your battery isnt gonna produce any amps for you so you will need to replace your alternator in order to power that amp and sub correctly.

I was thinking about getting a 12 inch sx but i dont think my punny 70 amp alternator in my 97 civic is gonna put out enough power, so i will have to get a big alternator in order to do it.

You will probably need a 150 to a 200 amp alternator for you system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
so doin a big 3 upgrade and just getting a new battery won't help? im jw bc i dont understand enough about batteries and alts, why do i hav to change the alt? y couldnt i jus change the batt? could sum1 explain this stuff to me plz?

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
bump, could someone atleast direct me 2 a website thatll answer my questions?

Bronze Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 24
AM-

The reason you can't just get a new battery is because even if you got another battery, your alternator won't be able to charge it fast enough to power the amp. This will put strain on your alternator and may cause clipping to your sub. Your lights will dim and you may have problems with your battery running down. The only things you can do are: Upgrade to Big 3, HO Alternator, Heavier Wire, and an additional battery. You may have to do a combination of those, but definately a new alternator if you have problems. When I got my two SX 12's and KX 2500.1 I had to upgrade to a 200 Amp HO Alternator and a Yellowtop.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1676
your stock alt should be able to handle your setup without clipping your sub. you might have slight dimming of lights but that is about it.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 455
if he has a 12.1 on a stock alt he will have more problems than just his lights dimming... especially at idle when the alt is probably putting out < 50a

AM that's a big amp... Tell your dad the deal and make him allow you to get a new alt lol

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 131
HO alt is definate. Speaking of RE 12.1s does anyone know a dealer number to order some? The company sold out and won't have any until some time around Jan 15. I need to get two of them asap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us