Glasswolf or Jonathan / Infinity Kappy Perfect 6.1 question

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2760
What is the best way to install these ? I have custom kickpods built to the door of my SUV/Montero. Right now i have HD62 set by CDT but am thinking about going to the Perfects for the powerfull sound and bright tweeter. Right now i have my tweeter on the door by the pillar and the mids are on the lower part of the door by my feet. Do these sound good off axis and if so what Crossover settings work best ? 12db or 18db crossed over at 80hz-100hz ? Im also gonna be adding the infinity 652i set for my rearfill and run it off my HU power. Either the 9833 or 9813. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2761
sorry about the double post.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5266
I prefer them with the tweeter close to the midbass. That is mainly because of the bright tweeter, which is FAR brighter than a CDT HD tweet. Complete opposites, just so you know. The Perfects can do ok with the tweet up high, not the best because of the crossover frequency, but you can get good results due to the high order crossover. You'll just have to experiment and see what you like.

Also, the Perfects aren't going to outdo your HDs in midbass and lower bass performance. Another thing to keep in mind. You can cross them around 100hz with a 12db/oct crossover and they'll do pretty good.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2762
I just want a componant set to blend in nicely with my 2 12w6v2's and was thinking Infinity Perfect 6.1's off my ppi a300 or a600.2 / I can get this set for $200 new. I listen to mostly rap and rock.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2764
I wanted to fill in my montero SUV with some rearfill since my stock rearfill are not up to par. I know i have all the front stage upfront but i wanted to have some nice sound coming from the back. Im thinking along the lines of Infinity Referance Infinity 652i to replace my 6x9's in the back but im not sure if it will fit or not? what do you think ? THey whould be powered of my 9833 HU VPOWER 27 watts rms.

If not i can just go with the 552i 5 1/4" referance model instead so it fits.

I know alot of people prefer 6.5's and 5.25's instead of the 6x9's etc..

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 272
you chamillions wernt doin it for u?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2768
Chameleons were great but i wasnt patiant enought with them and kind of regret it now. They whould have done better with a Unit like Pioneer Premier 860 for the Processing that you can use or the Alpine 9835 and tiem alignment. They sounded fantastic otherwise and strong midbass.

Jonathan let me know.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5278
The 6.5s will fit in the 6x9 spot if you make or buy an adaptor. No problem there.

"I just want a componant set to blend in nicely with my 2 12w6v2's and was thinking Infinity Perfect 6.1's off my ppi a300 or a600.2 / I can get this set for $200 new. I listen to mostly rap and rock."

The Perfects will blend pretty well, but not the best due to the lack of lower bass performance. They're a good deal for $200, but think about the money you've lost over this period of time by changing up component systems. Not sure what you sold those IDs for, but I'd guess you lost nearly $100 on that deal. Then if you were to buy the Perfects and sell the CDTs, you may lose a little more in the process. If you're truly not happy with the capabilities of these component sets, I think you should consider saving up as much as possible and putting money down on the best you can get within a reasonable range. This would be your third "good for the money" set, when you've spent enough money to get a reference level component system. By the time the internet comes into play, you can get good deals on ebay or other sites on more common brands.

What I think is in line with what you want are components like the Boston Acoustics Z6. Those are very clear, natural, and detailed, aren't as soft and dull as the HDs, and while they are a little brighter they aren't going to rip your head off with the highs either. They also give extremely good on and off axis response, are SOOO easy to set up, sound great (I think best) in the coaxial configuration, have excellent midbass performance and get very loud and sound great at high power levels. They will work very well with the door install that you have going. If you wanted great performance and imaging, you can grab one of the Z6 sets and also one of their add on imaging kits for the upper door tweeter location you have. FYI, the Z6 typically goes between $500-$600 on ebay. More than you want to spend on the Perfects, but they're worth saving money for. On a side note, the JL ZR components would likely be in line with what you want as well.

You may also want to consider additional processing for the components you have. Just adding speakers without processing is like adding a new carburetor without jetting it.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2771
Jonathan, thanks for the info but i want a Component Set without paying for all the extra processing. Im thinking to go back to my old setup of using coaxials for the front and rearfill coaxials for the back of my SUV. Im getting tired of spending all this money on componants and then finding out that i should consider additional processing that i dont know much about in the first place to setup and tune. Just getting frustrated i guess. Need to figure a speaker set that whould sound good of a Alpine 9835. I will test my CDT set off the new 9835 i got on ebay and see if they sound any bettter with its processing and then go from there.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5288
Just let me know if you have any more questions. Keep in mind my last post wasn't intended to put down your decision, just saying many of us have done the same that you have (myself included). I was building budget systems all the time, and one day sat down, calculated my losses, and realized I could have gotten what I really wanted all along. I think we've all learned that patience is key when making a good sound system, and getting one thing at a time, taking time to plan out your options and focus on your next upgrade. But really a $200 set with processing is going to be better than a $1000 set without it. Just the side effect of putting systems in a tough acoustic environment like an automobile. If you don't intend to use processing, I don't really recommend spending big bucks on a system, because honestly you'll never use its potential.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2772
Well im not very good with all the settings of the processor as im not familiar with them. I just know the basics of settings crossovers and slopes on the Head Unit. What whould you suggest to me since i already have my CDT HD62 installed in my kickpods in the door.

Also im leaning towards replacing my rear panel mids from 6x9's to 6 1/2 2 way infinity referance coaxials like the one here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cS7xfQe6W1B/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52000&I=1086012I

I could push this set off my 27 rms x 4 internal v drive alpine HU amp. Let me know if this is a good idea. I want everyone in the car to experience great sound. I will be using 2 12w6v2's in the cargo area where these 6 1/2's will be placed. Thanks

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2774
Also what are your thoughts on this set in comparision to my current CDT HD62 set.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3083

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5291
"Well im not very good with all the settings of the processor as im not familiar with them. I just know the basics of settings crossovers and slopes on the Head Unit. What whould you suggest to me since i already have my CDT HD62 installed in my kickpods in the door."

What about the HDs is lacking, what do you want to change? And how much can you spend? Really, processors aren't that hard if you find an audio shop that has an RTA. You can set up the EQ for a flat response (or they can do it for you), then tune to preference from there, mainly in bass response since most people prefer bass to be slightly louder than mids and highs.

"Also im leaning towards replacing my rear panel mids from 6x9's to 6 1/2 2 way infinity referance coaxials like the one here"

Those will be good, and will run well off the head unit.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5292
About the Type Xs, they're a bit nicer than your current comps, but again I really think you'll have to reach higher to get a lot more than what your current comps offer you.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2775
What are some processors that will fine tune my system and wont kill my pocket. Im on a budget since im a student in college. I will be getting a ALpine 9835 to replace my Kenwood XXV-01D for my HU. I have a ppi a300 which i could use to run the type x if i get them or just stick with my current a600.2 and cont. to use my CDT HD62 set.

I like the natural smooth sound they produce but i think they are alittle to laid back or it could be the tuning / lack of Processing perhaps.

After i get the Infinity referance 2 way 6.5's im on a budget of about $300 or so ballpark. Just looking for the type of sound that blends in well with my 12w6v2's in the back etc.. Somthing with good off axis response since my tweeter is high on the door and the mids are on kickpods built into the door angled up.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5295
If you want livelier components, I've heard CDT has a trade in special going on right now. May want to check it out on their site. The Eurosports are livelier and more detailed, have a more powerful midbass to them as well. You may could score some with that upgrade deal, but I haven't checked pricing.

You could also consider upgrading your tweeter, if that's where you think they're laid back at. The modular tweets allow you to choose alum, silk, or titanium.

You could get a stereo 1/3 octave EQ for $300, but with the capabilities of modern digital processors, it's worth saving up for them. One 1/3 octave EQ from someone like Audiocontrol would do your system a lot of justice, though. Dual monos would be better of course, but 30 bands of EQ for two channels is going to really help.

Silver Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 139
You'll regret switching to the cda9835!!! don't do it!!!

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2776
Why do you think i whould regret it. 9835 is suppose to be one of the better Hu's by ALpine. Vincent do you know how to set the time alignment to each speaker on the Kenwood XXV-01d.

Thanks for the info jonathan. Where is a good place to get a nice processor/eq online and what particular models. Thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5302
Audiocontrol EQTs are on www.woofersetc.com and are under $300. Not sure if they're an authorized dealer or not, though. Ebay would prob. have some as well, maybe even the digitals in your price range.

"Why do you think i whould regret it. 9835 is suppose to be one of the better Hu's by ALpine."

Alpine has had a lot of trouble with their newer head units. Lots of failures with them. I'd suggest Eclipse and Pioneer Premier

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2777
Even the 2003 9813 and 9815 or the 2004 9833 and 9835 ?

Ive heard great things about those units.
Jonathan i actually won a alpine cda-7878 on ebay the other day and it originally retailed for like $800. What do you know about these units ? Thanks and ill check out www.wooferetc.com since ive ordered from them before. Thanks

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2778
Im thinking about going back to my Pioneer Premier p860MP / My favorite HU so far because of the 13 band eq and dsp and processing features makes the system sound so good. Hard not to good good results with this unit. Thats what im gonnna do since i already have a alpine 7878 also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us