Wiring Config OHM help

Bronze Member
Username: Lukewarm12

ALtoona, PA USA

Post Number: 17
Right now in my car I have my fronts and rears (both 4ohm speakers) running off of a two channel MTX Amp.
It sounds just fine. But I have come across two free pair of tweeters. I would like to put a pair in the front and in the back. However they are both 8 OHM tweeters.
Now I understand WHAT an Ohm is, but I do not understand the math to them.
I want to know if this is feasable.
Basically I am looking at a 4ohm+4ohm+8ohm+8ohm Load into each channel of this 2 channel 325 Watt MTX Amp.
What kind of load would this create on my amp. Would it be no problem for the amp, or would it be too much.
My co-worker says because the tweeters are so small and pull such little power that it wouldn't hurt a thing. He may be right, but he is also a lyeing b!tch and his advise isn't worth a bucket of manure.
Please Advise.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4271
if u r worried about ohm loads on ur amp - why not simply run em off ur HU cause tweets really don't need much power 2 run em ..............

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5117
Hey Dick, most stereo amps will support 2ohm operation. This is why your current setup is working well (4ohms + 4ohms = 2ohms).
If you add 2 pair of 8ohm tweeters, it'll drop the resistance to around 1.34ohms. At low volume, it might be okay, but at higher level, the amp will either burn out or go into protection.
If you don't mind operating at a higher resistance than 2ohms, then, wire the front and rear speakers in "series" to get 8ohms. Now wire them and the 2 tweeters in parallel to get 2.6ohm resistance. Repeat the procedure for the right channel.
Now you shouldn't have any problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us