How do I need a cap or it's because my slow regulator?

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 140
I've read that some alternators have a <<slow>> power regulator and when a big change of power happens (like when a deep bass plays) you will see lights dimming for half a second...

But How could you know if it's because a slow regulator or because my alternator is now giving mucho power (amps).

One reason is because, before i changed my stock audio system, and i turn on the a/c or activate the powerlock, my lights would dimm very slightly for half-second too.

How could I be sure it's only because of the slow regulator?
Also the only thing comes to my mind is that, if my alternator is not giving enough power my battery light will be on in my indicator.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10820
could be bad wiring somewhere in the car.
yours lights shouldn't dim when you lock the dorrs.. it should take significant current draw to cause problems like dimming lights.
the slow response thing can be tested by playing an extended bass note. if the lights stay dimmed, it's not the repsonse time, it's the alternator not giving enough current.
If the lights dim for just an instant that pop right back to bright, it's just slow response, and a capacitor will filter that

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 341
omg glasswolf they were just asking for you in the subwoofer section

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10825
...and like magic

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 343
lol nice its just funny how that happens

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 165
GlassWolf, does that mean that without the capacitor it could hurt something? or just to avoid watching at the dimming lights?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us