Are the jl zr650s better than the xr653s ?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1453
just wondering because the 3 way should cover different frequencies better while the Zr is the flagship series. i LOVE JL so i would like to use their components but really when i go to buy my new comp sets i just want the best for around 700 for 2 sets. wether it be a zr650 for front and xr650 for rear or xr653s for both or cdt cl641 3 ways or what?! lol. oh and by best i mean i need it to be EXTREMELY loud and EXTREMELY good SQ lol. will be using a zapco 1000.4 which would be 125x4 at 4 ohms or 2 jl 300/2s

all will be purchased ebay of coure unless some1 knows where to get zrs besides ebay.

all help appreciated thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5211
ZR is better even as a 2 way IMO. Set is very nice. And you aren't going to find 2 sets of them for $700, even on ebay. They're going a little under $600 as is on ebay (buy it now), not sure what you can get a used set for, though.

"all will be purchased ebay of coure unless some1 knows where to get zrs besides ebay."

You do realize JL does not warrant any kind of internet sales, right? Only "legal" place is an authorized JL dealer. And they're going to cost $800 from them.

Anyway, in the same price range, I highly recommend you look at the SEAS Lotus Reference components. IMO they spank the JLs, check them out on www.mobilesq.com or get specs on them from http://www.seaslotus.com/ They retail for $745 on mobilesq. DLS Iridium 6.3 set is $800 on there also.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5212
And personally, I'd recommend you do just the front components. If you want two components for loud, put them both up front. If you're worried about passengers, cheap out on them and put the majority of the money on the fronts for your enjoyment.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1464
lol i treat my passengers well lol. but i was planing on cheaping out on them just a tad lol. like what i meant was Zr set for the front and xr set for the rear. but damnnn! those SEAS are 745 for one set? thats already over my limit lol. i'll look into them though. i have looked at the dls components and i was impressed... but shortly after i was depressed at the price. remember im 17 my paycheck isnt too large lol. my parents paid for the car, not what goes in it ... besides the gas :P

and when you say the zrs are better than the Xr653 you mean both in sq and loudness? or just sq?

thanks for the help, preciate it.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1465
oh and just to check... have you heard the cdt cl-641 .. the 3 way set?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1466
im looking on mobilesq and the have the seas ref as a 2way and the seas site has them as a 3 way... which is true? although i just dont think i can buy them for that price... how degrading is the performance set? its 455$..

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1467
you may call me an idiot after i say this... but what if i bought a seas ref midrange speaker midbass speaker and tweeter. then i ran it with a CDT ES/HD-300 3way xover... that would be roughly 600 buying them all separate.. supid idea huh?

how are the dls 3 way component set.. the ur36s not the iridium. its 663. or what about the up36?

i know it looks like im just ignoring ur opinion but its just too expensive for me so im trying to find something closer to my price and the $663 dls is wayy pushing it already lol.

sorry for all the questions btw..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5221
"you may call me an idiot after i say this... but what if i bought a seas ref midrange speaker midbass speaker and tweeter. then i ran it with a CDT ES/HD-300 3way xover... that would be roughly 600 buying them all separate.. supid idea huh?"

Wouldn't work well at all. The SEAS crossovers have the necessary notch filter for the midbass driver and also compensate for the rising response of the midbass. You'd want to go with an active crossover and equalizer to balance the drivers out. The Lotus have a very low crossover frequency as well, and are different impedances than the CDTs.

"im looking on mobilesq and the have the seas ref as a 2way and the seas site has them as a 3 way... which is true?"

The component system is a 2 way. They do offer a 4" midrange driver, but it doesn't come in a component system, it's only available as a raw driver.

I'm just saying keep an eye out for them, I've seen them go on ebay around $400.

"oh and just to check... have you heard the cdt cl-641 .. the 3 way set?"

Yup. Stick with the JLs over the CDTs.

"and when you say the zrs are better than the Xr653 you mean both in sq and loudness? or just sq? "

Both. The motor of the ZRs was designed for higher linear output to keep up with the W6v2s and W7s.

I know how it is being on a budget (TRUST me, I'm saving up too :-)) More times than not, it's worth it to save your money up and make absolutely sure you get what you want. There is a DLS dealer in Tampa Florida for you to go evaluate the speakers.

CCST

1717 E. Busch Blvd. Suite 1108
Tampa, FL 33612
T 813-299-0332

You can at least go have a listen, isn't far from you, and you can call and see what they have on the board before you make the trip. Just take your time, weigh out your options, and make sure you're getting the best you can for the money you can put into it. These things take time, but you'll save a lot of money in the end by being patient. Of course, there are plenty of JL dealers in Florida for you to listen to as well. Just make a day to go comparing equipment. Closest JL dealer to you is this one:

Sound Advice
1102 East Fowler Ave
Tampa, FL 33612
Phone: 813-971-4434

You won't likely find a dealer for SEAS, not many shops carry them.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 263
no not at all jonothan i talked to 2 in the states(the only seas listed) and they were gonna dump the product or allready did

jonothan i could get the profi kick bass rainbows for $600 oposed to the seas lotus refrence

were do i go from here? wich 1 will be louder and cleaner or in your words sound more like sex :-)
i wante dto get with you before making this desision. And is going active a must?
i could upgrade to the 8455 im gonna wrap up all this stuff by friday

you no my profile allready
2 15'' avalanches zapco 9.0c2k
ppi a.404 4 channel
eclipse 8445 hu

no speakers yet

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
oh and I could get the lcy 130 ribbon tweeter and just
get the cross over and midrange to all the other stuff

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1470
thanks alot jonathan. i'll try to go listen to those dls speakers but im going to try to let the JLs go lol. because i cant afford them from a shop and i would like a warranty. i also like how many different choices dls has in speakers. they dont just have 2 sets. im looking at the iridium 2 way set or the ultimate ur36s 3 way set. they all say 100w rms but could they take 150 from a JL 300/2 amp or 125 from a zapco 1000.4?

and are all dls speakers worth buying for the money? what i mean is my friend is looking for just one 5.25 inch comp set at around 200$ would their 200$ comp sets be worth the money for his situation?

oh and i think seas is out unless i find them on ebay for really cheap ... unless the performance set is almost as good? but 745 for one set is too much for me. i wanted to spend no more than 500 for 2 sets. and i raised that to 700 so 745 for one is just too much..

again, thanks for all your help i really appreciate it

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 229
also good luck finding those ZR's any where......my local shop called in and asked about them and was flat told they are gonna be on back order for a while! i heard a set in a sound board....sounds preaty clean...i can't say great things or bad things....i haven't heard them in an auto environment!

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 700
Jl is pretty much closed down until new year....

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1488
thanks guys but i said im not going to get the ZRs anymore lol.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5225
"and are all dls speakers worth buying for the money? what i mean is my friend is looking for just one 5.25 inch comp set at around 200$ would their 200$ comp sets be worth the money for his situation? "

DLS has some great stuff for the money. Luckily for you, you can go check them out and develop your own opinion. And yes, they can take the 300/2 or Zapco 1000.4.

"oh and i think seas is out unless i find them on ebay for really cheap ... unless the performance set is almost as good?"

The Performance set is still outstanding. Worth the money IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
daaaaaamn john no help for me :-(

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5235
"daaaaaamn john no help for me"
Sorry.

"no not at all jonothan i talked to 2 in the states(the only seas listed) and they were gonna dump the product or allready did"

http://www.mobilesq.com

Only authorized dealer in the US, aside from a few in California.

"jonothan i could get the profi kick bass rainbows for $600 oposed to the seas lotus refrence"

The Profis are nice, but IMO the Lotus Reference set is much better.

"wanted to get with you before making this desision. And is going active a must?"

If you're going with the Lotus set, I'd recommend against it. This is because the midbass requires a notch filter and also uses an inductor to correct the rising frequency response. The passives are good on the set, anyway, no worries there. With the Rainbows, you can do either/or, but no it's not mandatory for good results.

"oh and I could get the lcy 130 ribbon tweeter and just get the cross over and midrange to all the other stuff"

With the Lotus, I'd mainly recommend it with 3 way active, because you need to cross over the drivers at a relatively low frequency range due to the magnesium cone resonance. Ribbon tweets don't drop that low.

Last thing, with those subs, I'd recommend you add a strong midbass driver to the system. The Lotus set has good midbass, but doesn't drop very low in doors. It would mate better with a 10" or 12" sub. Really, that goes for nearly any 6.5" midbass driver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
well My mind is set on the
RainBow Kick Bass Profi Vanadium
I seen the seas Lotus on the net and you are right they wouldnt get low all though the 7'' mid looks so damn good.

Im gonna do some panels or whatever, I went to my local jl dealer he told me panels wont be that bad$$$$$$ and he also heard the Rainbow Refrence(only rainbow he heard) lol he did try to sell me a JL amp told me that the white art and the slash were desighned by the same man.
Told me my amp isnt versatile enought to go active

What rear fill should I get jhon and let me no if you see a fault in my system before Friday please
Thanks man

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5239
I wouldn't worry about rear fill personally, if anything I'd bridge the amp and drive the front speakers. If you did, I'd go with a similar Rainbow midbass to match up in timbre.

"he did try to sell me a JL amp told me that the white art and the slash were desighned by the same man"

Pretty sure that's true, I know it's the same guy that designed a lot of Soundstreams amplifiers (back when Soundstream was making top class amps)

"Told me my amp isnt versatile enought to go active"

Depends on if you're going to have an external crossover or not. If you upgrade to a HU or get an external processor, you could go active w/o the 300/4 (you've got the PPI 4 channel, right?). What I'd recommend is the Audiocontrol DQX or DQXS, which will give you the crossovers and the equalization (both parametric and 1/3 octave graphic) for excellent control of the system. It'll really kick it up to the next level.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Alright Jhon thanks for the help man

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1490
thanks jonathan. i'll try to go listen to those dls speakers whenever i get a chance. i'll let u know what i think

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1521
hey jonathan. i called the number to the dls dealer. is that a personal number? ive called twice but no one picked up.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5310
"hey jonathan. i called the number to the dls dealer. is that a personal number? ive called twice but no one picked up."

Got it off the DLS site, perhaps you should look in the phone book for Tampa and double check.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us