From sealed to ported

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 144
i just bought a ported box from TCAB and i was wondering if there is any difference between running a ported vs sealed enclosure? im talking like do i have to re tune my amp any special way? do i have to watch what tones i play? will it be just as loud all through the tones like a sealed box? all my experience is with sealed enclosures, this is my first ported.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4437
it all depends on the FS of the sub and what the box is tuned to?

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 148
What sub(s) you running? Definitely takes a bit of finess to tune a vented or ported box. Sealed requires more power to achieve SPL. In ported enclosures, the port does 1/2 the work for the driver. Generally, subsonic filters on mono-block amps should be tuned within 7-8HZ of your tuning frequency of the port. Say you tuned this baby in to 37HZ. If you did not adjust your subsonic filter on the amp & you poured the juice to it, You will smoke the sub. It will just keep throwing until it cooks or the box splinters. I have seen both. It will take MUCH less power to achieve good SPL in a ported enclosure. Be mindful of that.

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 145
i have 1 10" SE going into a 16"x16"x32" dual 4" ported enclosure running off a mtx 6001 which produces 600watts at 2ohms

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 146
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Reloaded

Mebane, NC U.S.A

Post Number: 57
what does this bump mean that everyone keeps sayin?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 371
knocks your post up the list of New..gets seen more, thats all

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky.. USA duh

Post Number: 1287
adam...ported boxes get louder than sealed boxes and they lose just a little bit of SQ...only thing u need 2 watch is the length of ya port and volume of box
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us