2/1 with same amp

John Ma
Unregistered guest
Hey, Ive got a friend who will sell me his 2 10 CVRs (05s) for real cheap. But the prob is the amp I have only puts out ~300W. So i could buy the 2 subs and give each about 150 (1/2 of RMS rating) or just 1 and put it at its RMS rating. Which would be better?

John Ma
Unregistered guest
I thought maybe just getting one would allow for deeper bass cuz the sub would be getting a more appropriate amount of power, but having the extra surface area might solve that problem as well. Thanks for the advice!

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1471
Whats the model # for the amp and what impendance voice coils do the subs have so i can see what you can do.

John Ma
Unregistered guest
Hey, the amp is an MTX 2301, and the subs are dual 4 ohm. The amp has 2 sets of outputs, so I figured since the amp puts out about 300 at 2 ohms, if i wired each sub individually in parallel the result would be 150 to each

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 449
you can wire them to have a 1 ohm loud, which would give the subs more power..http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=14&image.y=7

John Ma
Unregistered guest
ya, but the amp is not 1 ohm stable...thanks anyways

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1480
Can't do that the amp isnt 1 ohm stable. Im not sure what you should do yet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
then you have to wire it to 4 ohms,you can't get 2 4ohm DVC to a 2 ohm loud

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1481
You dont have to wire them together though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
whats the 300wRMS at, like is it 4 ohm?

John Ma
Unregistered guest
Unfortunately no, 300W at 2 ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
oh... Mike, can you get 2 DVC 4 ohm to 2 ohms?

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1483
Nope

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
i didn't think so....

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1485
Basically im just tryin to figure out if it will be louder with 1 sub with 300 watts or 2 with 150 each because theres no other way to wire it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
its going to be less than 300, 300 is the rms for 2 ohms

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1488
Yeah there DVC 4 ohm. 2 ohms in parallel or 8 in series. Thats one sub. He can hook up one sub in parallel it will be 300 RMS @ 2 ohms.

John Ma
Unregistered guest
if you (well, me in this case) wire 1 DVC 4ohm in parallel you get 2 0hms,giving 300 W. My biggest concern with getting the 2 subs is that there will not be sufficient power to drive real low notes if it only get 150 W. But if 2 each hit fairly weak it may sound the same as 1 with 300 W

John Ma
Unregistered guest
Also, If i spend the lil extra $$$ to buy both, and the bass is not enough (hopefully comparable to 1 w/ 300W) it allows me to buy a new amp to drive both subs closer to their potential. So i have the added "upgrade-ablilty"

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1490
If you werent gonna get a new amp then i would just go with hooking up one sub to the amp because it will be about the same as having 2 with less power except it will take up less room. But if getting a new amp so you can power both at RMS is no problem the I would definately just do that then.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3986
heres what i would try to do.....one buy both and resell if you think you can make a quick profit or ask if you can buy one or buy both and wait till you can afford another amp or one amp to drive both tens ....but honestly trying one ten may be a good experience for you...im a believer than one sub can do a VERY good job for your audio needs and dont think for one second one ten cant get really loud because it can if done right but you have to take the time to do your homework.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3987
i meant buy both and resell one if you think you can make a quick profit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us