2 units in one car

madboyy
Unregistered guest
i want to put 2 headunits in my car cuz i like both and sometimes i want to use the other one for showing off. is that possible.....i think it is but how do i splice and i got a system so i want to hook tht up to both of my units

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 807
it wouldn't be hard to do, but dash space is always in short supply. There's so much more you could do with that space that would be useful.

Username: Johnny619

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 3
that sound kinda cool, you should go asked them car aduio people at bestbuy or somthing. Ask them about how they wire all their deck but usin one system. I think you going to need a alot of crossover

madboyy
Unregistered guest
not for me i have enough dash space......my common sense tells me i can do that but something can go wrong if running both at the same time which im not going to do but u never know who else is going to decide to do somthing like that 4 the safe side

Anonymous

i think this is a time for glass wolf

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2370
It's possible. You would be best off just running new power wires for the second unit. As for the speakers, you will need a single throw double pole switch for each speaker being powered by the head unit. The switches must also have two connections that are being opened/closed for a total of six connections on the bottom of each switch.

Thus far, both units would run at the same time, but you would have to choose which one you wanted the sound to come from. If you don't want to run new power wiring, you can always just hook up another single throw double pole switch to the power wire as to select which unit you want to have turned on.

Is this with or without preouts?

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_excite

Post Number: 24
one is an alpine with 5v pre outs 3 pairs only going to b using 2 of them and the other is a kenwood flip down face pretty decent one as well what is a single throw douple pole switch where can i get it

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2372
RadioShack carries them but they're expensive. If you can find a dedicated electronic parts supplier, they would have much better prices.

Of course, you're going to have to find a place to put the four switches...

The preout switching would also require a switch, unfortunately, because both headunits would be sending a signal through their preouts simultaneously...cutting into some RCA wire to place the switches would be entirely necessary unless you could find an RCA selector box somewhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
dam tht seeeems really really hectic lol but guess ill try at it since im good at stuff like that about how much would this cost me and how much would it cost if a pro does it like some1 at best buy or som place like that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
how about if i buy some of these switches off ebay http://search.ebay.com/double-pole-switch_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQfs ooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfstypeZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQpqryZdoupleQ20poleQ20switchQQsacatZQ2d1Q QsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsofocusZbs
and are those the right ones?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2376
Yeah, it is hectic. The best thing to do in a situation like that is really to build a brain unit that will switch everything between units with a single button-but that's much more complicated and not worth going into detail.

I'm not sure how much it would cost or if Best Buy would even do it. I would guess at least 50-100.

Bronze Member
Username: C10_250

Kailua, Hawaii

Post Number: 14
The whole process itself would be pretty complicated. But if you're going to go through the trouble, you might as well spend a few dollars more on double pole RELAYS, then you could use a single pole switch to activate them all. Female rca ends could be wired to these and then everything put into an enclosure eliminating the need to splice into your rca wires. Also you'd have yourself a nice little (well I guess i wouldn't be very little) box for future aplications. Of course you would have to find a place to put such a contraption, then have enough RCA cable to reach it with all your outputs and run a small power line to engage the relays.

I'm not the most brillant in the complex electrical department, but I wonder if an 8 pole relay such as this one would at all be aplicable. http://cgi.ebay.com/Cutler-Hammer-8-Pole-Relay_W0QQitemZ7503093347QQcategoryZ428 97QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm probably just talking out of my A** like I tend to do sometimes but that's just my thinking on the matter. But don't be too harsh if I said something ignorant.

The again the really simple solution would be to line up your switches and glue a chopstick across them and they could be fliped all at the same time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us