AA's new speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 378
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/
i was looking for a new set of componets for around 200. i was thiking some xr650's off ebay, but then i saw these. how do you think the 2 will compare.

sorry for posting here, my thread dissapeared? out of the speakers section

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4429
if you want my opinion they will make the xr's sound like a set of sony's

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1456
sony components don't sound that bad. it doesn't sound like the best but pretty decent. lol

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 254
why james?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1927
i don't expect them to be outstanding. designing a driver to reproduce lows is very different from designing mids and tweets. at higher hz the length of the soundwave becomes comparable to the radius of the cone. at this point the cone no longer moves as one unit like the subs. here, the sound essentially begins moving from the cone joint outward towards the surround. then it moves back again and again etc...
designing paper, rubber/foam, and copper in an effort to have it sound like the vocal cords of will downing or the guitar strings of santana is already an amazing feat for top shelf units whom's companies have been designing speakers since before i was born. that's why i personally find spl contests a bit "unrefined." i do love my bass (don't get me wrong), i just don't expect any exceptional comps from aa.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4431
Well first off they are using the Vifa XT 25 Ring radiator tweeter for those of you who have never had the luxury of hearing sounds wonderful. Here are some specs on it. This superb tweeter features a patented dual concentric diaphragm and a unique wave guide center plug which provides an excellent on and off axis response. This tweeter is known for having a very "natural" sound with an extremely smooth frequency response that extends well beyond the human hearing range. The dual chamber design allows for a low resonant frequency and crossover point making this tweeter perfect for 2-way applications.
Specifications: * Power handling: 99 watts RMS/140 watts max * Nominal impedance: 4 ohms * DC resistance: 3 ohms * Frequency range: 1,500-40,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 8.5 oz. * Fs: 500 Hz * SPL: 91.5 dB 1W/1m * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 4-1/8", Cutout Diameter: 2-15/16", Mounting Depth: 1-13/16", Magnet Diameter: 2-15/16". Now for the driver they are using a high excusion poly carbon woofer which is going to be using a dual coil set up with high power handling. The x-max on these 6.5's is 11mm one way on a 6.5 lol! compared to most 6.5in components it is like 4mm one way linear excursion. I believe the xmech is 14mm now I know most of you are going to say xmax isnt everything but in a mid where it is going to be crossed over at 60-80hz it will allow this mid to really get loud with very very little to none distortion do to over excursion. Out of a 6.5in mid the FS is 35hz which is another amazing feat this mid has. This comp set will allow people to adjust x-over pionts to the point of perfection so that no music will be lost do to higher x-over points on a typical set of components. I can't wait to get a pair!

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 379
so your saying its going to be better and wait and get these over the xr650's right? anyone other than james agree with that? and btw, would a 300/2 be a good amp to run these comp's if i were to get them?

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 383
the new AA comps will destroy anything around that price and on up. Just because the driver was designed for sweet low end ouput doesnt mean it can't go high too... plus the tweet goes pretty low! I have talked with Chad a lot about the midbass driver and he said a lot of the technical stuff I didnt understand, but it sounded really good. If you're wanting a set of comps and don't mind waiting, you can't beat the sale at $199. Plus, it's coming from AA, you can't go wrong. They have clearly established themselves with quality with Atlas and Avalanche... these wont be any different.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1470
if you are willing to wait then that price is excellent. also i would trust james's decision too.

baseball just curious. re also make excellent subs but why don't too many people talk about their components?

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 388
because people don't have them... it has nothing to do with the quality of the comps themselves. they're probably AWESOME

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1473
you think the aa comps can compare to the zr components though? if they are then i might just order that now so i can get them cheap.

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 395
yea man, i think they are gonna be incredible. and for $199, that's insane. Don't forget about the Vifa tweet too. it will be better than 99% of the tweets out there in comp sets.

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 396
oh the ZRs, i've never heard them but yea I'm sure they're awesome. but waaaaayyyy too expensive! you can't go wrong with the AA stuff

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5194
"They have clearly established themselves with quality with Atlas and Avalanche... these wont be any different."

Just because somebody can make a good subwoofer doesn't mean that they can make a good sounding component system. Resonant Engineering proved that with the XXX midbass. Adires Extremis isn't all it's cracked up to be either IMO. Not above 100-150hz, anyway.

In the world of wussy car audio compact domes, the Vifa XT sounds like a dream, and is a good tweeter. On more level ground, the SEAS Excel Millenium/Crescendo, Scanspeak D2900s, 9700, 9800s smack it down.

The most important part of any component system is the ->crossover<-. It's the heart of the component system. With Vifa XT tweeters and relatively expensive (in comparison to the average speaker) midbass drivers, take a wild guess where the cost cutting likely went. I see no details about the crossover network, the componentry, the design emphasis. Which makes me think it isn't worth bragging about.

Am I saying this component system is going to be bad? Not at all, it may be fantastic. I'm saying don't get a chubby over something you've never seen or experienced. He who expects nothing shall not be disappointed.

Most "problems" people have with midbass performance isn't a lack of excursion or low distortion output. It's a lack of installation ability. It's the fact that most people throw a 6.5" driver in an undampened door behind a plastic speaker grill and expect the thing to be a miracle worker, when in reality they get a resonant nightmare that lacks low end and has numerous peaks and dips in midrange performance due to floppy sheet metal. A 4mm excursion midwoofer is quite capable of going to 50-60hz to reasonably loud levels if installed correctly, Mike can tell you that with his Iridium midbasses, and Scott Buwalda can tell you with his IASCA winner, which crossed the 6.5" midbasses at 31hz.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5195
The ZRs are great, BTW.

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 404
okay Jonathan, guess we will see. Personally, I believe these will surprise everybody, even you! For $199 you can't go wrong, even $299 for that matter.

"Just because somebody can make a good subwoofer doesn't mean that they can make a good sounding component system..."

This is not RE or Adire either. Ascendant offered performance with the Atlas and Avalanche generally not associated with a similar price.

I realize these will not be on the same level as the thousand-dollar comp sets out there, but I do believe they will be better than anything around for 200 dollars.

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 288
hey when do the AA's go on sale

Anonymous

hahaha people already saying they sound good with out even hearing them this is why theyre is so much wrong information on this forum people dont even listen to the product yet and their already saying their excellent hahaha they probably are but you guys havent even heard them. this is why i only ask questions to jonathan isaac cause they actually have experience with most products every body else are a bunch of newbs trying to take over the forum with nothing but wrong information LMFAO you guys make me laugh.

Anonymous

well why don't you also give jonathan and isaac a blow job while you are at it.

Bronze Member
Username: Maniac

Post Number: 35
well im personally waiting for the new components to come out also it says on their website next week so im guessing sometime in january.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5196
"This is not RE or Adire either. Ascendant offered performance with the Atlas and Avalanche generally not associated with a similar price."

So do Adire and RE. Ascendant was cheaper, but it was because they pulled asian built parts off a shelf. Wasn't really a bad thing, but not the best either. It got the essentials down.

I'm not saying they're going to be a bad set, because I don't know any more about the comps than anyone else on the forum. But I never buy something I haven't had experience with. I'm sure they'll be a good set for the $200 range, even if the crossover sucked, it isn't like you couldn't go active.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1478
jonathan would putting polyfill in the door where the 6.5's are mounted would improve the sound?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4449
Hey anon1 thats great that you feel comfotable asking Jonathan and Isaac your questions I do to, they know what they are talking about. Now I have tested many many products in car audio and many products that are talked about on this forum everyday. I dont give my opinion on a product unless I have used it myself. Now when it comes to new products you take what we already know about the company and apply it to what is being released. Ascendant Audio has proven themselves as a great company in terms of reliability,performance, and great great customer service. OK now we take what we know about the new product coming out which we have already gone over in detail. Now in conclusion we combine them and we try to get a good guesstimate as to how well they should perform. No one on here is saying they are going to be the all god of comp sets, but for the price they should be a fantastic set by anyone's standards. We will see! Once they release them and they I test them I will post my results as will baseball and a few others I am sure. All I can say is I have talked to Chad a few different times and he is very very excited about the release of this line. I know what owner wouldnt be, but again it goes back to trust which Chad has never ever given me a reason not to and I have purchased over 8 different subs from him in the past. So there is my .02 mr I can't even come out and say who I am because obviously you are scared of reprocusions from your actions taken!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4450
I would just go the dynamat route Chad, with a 3/4in mdf plate to mount yoyur comps in the doors with. That settles rattling in the door, and rattling in the sheetmetal + gives you clearance for a deeper mid. I did this in my jeep. here is an example. http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/803384/3

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1480
hey that is a nice setup james. that seems like alot of work for me to do.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4452
its really not at all, measure your door, cut the wood, carpet it and screw it on. It also helps because I could only fit 5 1/4's in my jeep door so I built the new baffle and went with the 6 1/2.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1481
i am gonna think about that. maybe that will be my next project.

Bronze Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 100
cool ascendant audio is coming out with new stuff im going to have to buy me two more 18's:-)

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 311
i hope they will look good. i think they kindof look boring.

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 407
i think the carbon fiber cone with the aluminum phase plug looks nice

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 298
im thinking about getting the new comp set for my next install either that or xr's looks right now like the AA's though cause only 199 and i dont need them right away

Silver Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 408
Jonathan, what do you think the best comp set is for around $200?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us