Cone still rattling!

Bronze Member
Username: Kwrubel21

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 88
i really need some help.

i've got this mtx 9500 in a box that is only four inches shorter than the reccomended box. should this be making the cone rattle the way it is?

when i turn my HU up to about 28-30ish, i can hear the cone rattling. but you can only hear the cone rattling if your head is directly in it's path. so it has to be comming from something on it inside the box.from what i've heard, it is most likely that pressure is building up too much in the box causing it to push hard on the dust cap or something along those lines?

is it something to do with my box being to small, or is it something wrong with the speaker.

or maybe is it because the box is only 1/2 inch and it's reccomended thickness is 3/4 inch, and an inch thick for the face? box flexing too much??

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4416
that is a large woofer , way to large for 1/2 in mdf(provided thats what you used). Unless that box is braced everywhere I would guarentee it is from your box flexing. How did you seal up the box nails,screws,glue,silicone? When you say it is 4in shorter how short is your box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
it's supposed to be 24 inches high, but it's 20. the other edges are exactly the same. and i'm not sure how the box was made, i just bought it to throw it in while i'm builing my new box.

i put some polyfill in, and i didn't help much. my port also blows out warm air. are these all sypmtoms of the box being too small??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
my box is actually 3/4. but the face of the box is supposed to be 1 inch. would this make the difference?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4440
is it MDF or particle board

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
MDF

Username: Ajisup

Post Number: 1
I had this same problem with my subs. Take the sub out the box and make sure there are no wires touching it from the inside and causing a rattling noise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
fuss. explain this a little more for me. i'm not exactly sure what you're talkinga bout. and i really want to get this fixed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us